Mid-November Wreck Diving in North Carolina

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ProLobster

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello all,

This coming November I will be in Baltimore on business for a few days, November 8-10, and afterward was considering spending the weekend plus a day or two diving some of the big wrecks off the North Carolina coast. I've never been diving in this region (though I've been to the Florida Keys a number of times), so I would appreciate some guidance as far as the top dive operators, best wrecks to visit from a photography and exploration standpoint, and anything of historical or otherwise significant value.

From my initial research I understand there is a sub and a few artificial reef ships, plus the fabled Queen Anne's Revenge? Your personal input on these and any others would be very valuable in planning my trip. Also, if anyone would be interested in diving with me those days I would appreciate the company! For your reference I am master certified with dry suit certification.

Thanks in advance!

Andrew Kissinger

Last edited:
I dive out of Morehead City quite often and really like Olympus Dive Center. They cater a little more towards the experienced diver (to be expected since all the offshore wrecks start at around 110'), but they really run a great operation. They can do fills, rentals, or anything else you need. I dove the first week of December last year and the water temp offshore on the Aeolus was 68 F. We did some nice long tech dives and I was comfortable in my 7mm for 45+ minutes in the water. The Olympus boats are bigger and often run 18 divers or so. Things start slowing down this time of year though, so sometimes smaller crowds. There are a couple of nice 6-pack boats too.

Atlantis Charters Home

tortuga dive charters

One thing I will say is that the Atlantic has not been kind this year. A ridiculous number of weekends have been blown out and the visibility has been uncharacteristically bad. We had a few dives this year where the vis offshore was maybe 20'. Of course, we had a couple of 80' days too. The water has been cooler in some spots too. We had 72 degrees on the bottom in August, when that time of year often runs close to 80 F.

If you want to venture a little farther south, Aquatic Safaris out of Wilmington runs a nice operation too. If you want to dive the sub (U-352), you'll need to go out of Morehead City.

Regardless, I love diving the area and I have a blast even on the crappy vis days. The wrecks and sand tiger sharks are just awesome.

Discovery Diving in Beaufort is another operator. Capt Leroy on the Captains Lady will usually run daily trips. But as said earlier, weather and visibility due to weather have been uncharacteristically "off" for a normal season.
Check with the operator before traveling.
But if you get to go, the Sub, Schurz, Aeoulus, and Caribsea are awesome dives.
Inshore, the Hutton and Suloide have been good this year.
There is no chance to dive the QAR as that is a state protected project site.
Water temps should still be in the low 70,s depending on recent weather.

Thank you both for the great info! If you're game to join me for some dives just say the word!

I may be available to dive with you those days I'm in the process of a move from NY to durham and would love to drive over and get a day or 2 in diving some wrecks before starting my new job.

I dive with AS quite a bit. The way their system works is that anybody can suggest a charter. If enough divers sign up they will make the run weather permitting. You can cancel up to about 5 days before the trip with no penalty which is more lenient than the morehead charters.

Hyde/Markham are nice and have been down a long time so lots of growth and life. They were sunk on purpose if that matters to you. Doesn't to me. First of natural wrecks is the Gill in 90 ft of water. It is big and easy to do two dives on. Further out you have the Rosin and the Normania and City of Houston. All natural wrecks.

Further out from the Gill, but closer than Rosin or Normania you have the ledges. They have lots of fish and marine life but no metal if that is what you want. First is 23 mile, then Sues and Stacey.

Note that by November water will be cooling down inshore but get warmer as you move out due to gulf stream influence.

As noted weather can be iffy and the 3mm crowd has moved to warmer waters so a little more challenging to get a goup up but there are lots of divers in NC. If you advertise your charter on RAD (Raleigh Area Divers) you may get some more volunteers.

My son and I dove the Spar and Aeolus with Discovery Dive Center on 10/6. Our experience with Discovery was positive and would dive with them again. Discovery owns a small hotel with suites near the shop. Our suite was comfortable, clean and the rate was reasonable. I echo the earlier posting regarding weather and visibility being uncharacteristically "off". Trips planned in Aug and Sept were blown out. Because of the fairly recent hurricane activity, vis at the dive sites was 15-20 ft. Normal vis is 50-80 ft. Despite the low vis we had a blast and saw a few sand tiger sharks at close range. If you plan to dive NC, you should be prepared for less than optimal/challenging conditions.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom