Mid-Atlantic Bottom Feeders, Add your favorite dive spots to our directory!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Heres my fav.

A Liberian registered oil tanker which ran aground in a storm at Gull Shoal off Ocean City, Maryland, on her way from Cartegena, Colombia to Paulsburo, New Jersey. Constructed in 1955, she was 590' in length. The stern was eventually salvaged after it broke loose and grounded nearby. The bow eventually sunk in another storm, and now rests upside down in 70' of water.

africanqueen.jpg

A Balao class submarine built in 1943, the USS Blenny (SS-324) saw action in World War II throughout the Pacific theater, eventually earning four battle stars, as well as during the Korean War. Sometime during 1969 she was re-designated as an auxiliary submarine (AGSS-324) and in September she was placed in reserve. Two months later, Blenny was finally decommissioned, berthed initially at Philadelphia. Her name was struck from the Navy list on 15 August 1973. Subsequently moved to Portsmouth, Virginia, she remained there until 3 July 1979 at which time she was moved to the naval station at Norfolk for a period of temporary duty. In 1984, it was planned to use the submarine for an exercise target, but that apparently never happened. Instead a decision was made to donate her to Maryland for use as an artificial reef in 1987.

She was eventually scrapped and sunk off Ocean City as part of the Maryland Artificial Reef Program. The 311 foot long sub rests in 70 feet of water in the vicinity of the African Queen. Holes have been cut and hatches opened to make for an interesting penetration dive.

blennyboom.jpg

blenny1.jpg

That's right, you heard us - DIVE in the National Aquarium in Baltimore!

Atlantic Edge Dive Center is proud to partner with the National Aquarium in Baltimore to offer the best diving in Maryland—two dives in the Aquarium’s most popular exhibits, the Atlantic Coral Reef, and Wings in the Water.

Led by our professional dive staff, participants will be taught the basics of Aquarium diving before taking the plunge into our world of rays, sharks, and 53 species of fish. As you swim amongst these fascinating creatures, you will also learn the role divers can play in reef conservation and how to be a steward of our precious natural resources.

This experience begins at 2:45 with a brief classroom session where we will learn about the Aquarium, its conservation message, the animals we will see, etc. We will then brief at each exhibit, get ready to dive and then hop into the water! The dives will start at about 5:15 and we are generally finished and leaving the Aquarium around 7:30/8:00. You would have to travel around the globe to experience a day of diving like this, but with this fun-filled experience you can have it all right here in your own backyard! Check out the information on Learn to Scuba Dive, Scuba Diving Classes, Scuba Diving Lessons

TBD as we explore the Chesapeake Bay this summer with our fast new Bay Charter Boat the Retriever... We'll let you know what we find!

That's right, you heard us - DIVE in the National Aquarium in Baltimore!

...snipped from a couple posts up. Just a quick thumbs up to this one. Definitely an unusual experince, we did it last fall. You aren't going to be able to make this your one and only diving destination or anything like that, but the wifey and I both got a kick out of it. We've discussed making it a once-a-winter, gotta-dive-but-don't-have-the-time-to-go-anywhere-the-ground-isn't-white dive.

Ike aka "not a city driver, though"

Hey, it's 2011 and the snow's almost all gone (till our next storm that is ;-)!

It's time to start thinking about getting the equipment ready and getting wet!

I'm in the Annapolis, MD area and done PA and VA quarry/lake diving as well as NJ and NC wreck. Most weekends after April will find me up in PA at Dutch Springs. I like that quarry because of the good amount of underwater "stuff" to see and the great campgrounds.

Anyone interested in hooking up for a weekend of diving just drop me a line!

Cheers,

Greg

Hello there, I was thinking about taking in a dive a Guppy Gulch next wkend, they say the water is brisk, how is it with a 7mil let me know thanks. I am waiting for my drysuit but I want to dive.

Hey Greg,

I'm in the Annapolis area too (Pasadena). I've made dives at Bainbridge PA since it so close, never been to Dutch Springs. Have you been to both and if so, can you give reasons why you like one over the other?

Skarn

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom