Micronesia's "Truk" WWII wreck Paradise...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You all are making it more and more difficult for me to resist my LDS urging me to join them on their Truk trip on a live aboard. I have been trying to avoid reading about it, since my significant other isn't very interested (diving isn't for her) I have a feeling it would cause distress for our relationship. This looks like an amazing site, I'd better get a ton of diving out of the way before then so I can get my tech certs, I wouldn't want that to be an excuse :)

PriusDrIVER, It certainly is a wise decision not to bring a non diving partner to Truk.
However, don't worry about tech certs, we didn't even wear wet suits; just the clothes we had on. In my opinion it must be the best wreck diving in the world.

By far it is....Chuuk and Yap have the greatest wreck diving. I plan on going back in 2008 for sure.

lynny_lynny:
By far it is....Chuuk and Yap have the greatest wreck diving. I plan on going back in 2008 for sure.

I was in both Yap and Chuuk this past October. I did the Odyssey in Chuuk, and I will ditto all the people who said it was a great experience. I also think the earlier you go the better--the wrecks are showing their age a bit.

It helped very much that I was with a group of pretty experienced divers--about half were professionals.

BTW, what are you referring to regarding wrecks in Yap?

You also might look into the Thorfinn. I did Truk in '04 with the colorful Capt. Lance and his great crew. My room was on the lower deck; had its own head and shower and one double and one single. The food was adaquate, probably not the Odysee, but still quite adaquate. The price might be a little less too. You might be one of only 4 or 5 guest or one of 16; you never know. The guides were super. We never had to rope up and did some very deep penetrations; the guides, especially Paco, knew these wrecks like his own backyard. Also, I believe the Thorfinn is a little more liberal in there diving, allowing you whatever you feel qualified for. Runs to the wrecks are on skiffs and this makes it great because divers can group up according to interests and skill. if you're a WWII history buff, diving these wrecks are like entering a time machine. Most everything is there: ordinance, planes, tanks, trucks, a John Deer tractor, mines, bottles personal items, and human remains. We tried to talk capt. Lance to allow us to bring up one of the saki bottles that appeared to still contain its sealed contents and drink a 60 yr. old toast to those who lost their lives in this battle. His answer, "No, it's not allowed; I could lose my permit---besides, you wouldn't like it anyways." (perhaps capt. Lance has taken a sip)

Seems to me this region should be added to the list of the "10 places EVERY diver should visit before they die"!!

Scuba-Jay:
Seems to me this region should be added to the list of the "10 places EVERY diver should visit before they die"!!

Hi,

How about the list of the 5 places EVERY diver should visit? For most of us there is no better wreck diving available.

While I am here, let me say that Micronesia is wonder for divers. Palua is fantastic. I am not a big fan of Yap, but would not naysay it. However, if you really want to see mantas, head for the Kona Coast of Hawaii--I have been to Yap twice and can honestly say I have seen more manta in two DIVES off Kona than in two weeks off Yap. On the other hand, the reefs off Yap are excellent diving.

However, if can only do one site, go to Truk (Chuuk in the local lingo) and see those wrecks.

An interesting thing to do on your trip is to spend a few days on Guam. You normally have to overnight there, anyhow. It is worth a couple of days to dive the wrecks and the Blue Hole. With luck you will see some world class Lionfish at or near the Blue Hole. If you do the Blue Hole, you might consider skipping going into the Hole and just scooting around it whilst the others dive the Hole. There is just a bunch of stuff to see around the top.

joewr

Back
Top Bottom