Michigan Woman dies diving off Key Largo.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think it's important to understand that it's not just always a medical event. It can be a medical precipitated by diving. How much so we don't know but I'd bet many of these so-called medical events wouldn't have occurred on land shovelling snow etc.

Just an opinion.

Based on the stress that diving puts on the body plus the body's reaction to immersion e.g. blood moving from extremities inwards. There are other reactions the body has to immersion but I'm no expert hence why I said an opinion. Don't want to derail the thread, sorry.

John

I think it's important to understand that it's not just always a medical event. It can be a medical precipitated by diving. How much so we don't know but I'd bet many of these so-called medical events wouldn't have occurred on land shovelling snow etc.

Just an opinion.

This is what Steve Schultz, a past presenter at the Shipwrecks Symposium here in Ontario, posted on another board a couple of years ago after a local accident. The following is Steve's response to the question "Is it possible that if he had a heart attack, the attack was brought on by something to do with the diving?":
Steve Schultz:
Of course! And that's often the case with diving accidents. So many of them are ruled heart attacks.

I'm not speaking about this accident, but in general, there are lots of heart attacks for a variety of reasons. First, lots of divers are out of shape. If you exert yourself at depth, or if you dive a poorly serviced regulator, you'll build up CO2. If you're stressed, you'll also build up CO2. The body's response to CO2 in the brain is to raise your blood pressure.
The end result is your heart is working harder and this may lead to a heart attack.

So, quite often deaths get ruled as heart attacks, and that isn't very useful information for divers.
Instead, it helps to look at factors that contributed to the death.
Was the diver obese? Out of shape?
Was the diver trim and streamlined in the water or was he working much harder than he should have been?
Was the diver wearing too much lead (over-weighted)?
Was the diver experienced enough for the dive or would he have been stressed?
Was the diver's equipment well fitting and serviced?

All those things are factors that contribute to increased CO2 and ultimately to heart attacks underwater, and IMO it's much more useful to look at these contributing factors, ie the factors that actually led up to the cause of death, rather than look at the exact cause of death.

Lisa, very sorry for your loss. My condolences to you and the rest of your family.

Just an opinion.

While I agree with you that a heart attack could have been induced/perpetuated by diving, it is also know that shoveling snow has induced heart attacks that may not have otherwise occurred.

I was on another boat that afternoon a few miles from this incident. we were taking our surface break between dives while listening to the coast guard side of the conversation with her boat. it was rather obvious from the coast guard side of the conversation that it was not going to be a good ending. next day i heard that the rumors were that she had surfaced and signaled to the boat captain that she was in distress, but then by time the boat got to her she was not breathing.

i dove the benwood on my first dive of the week. i actually requested that dive location since it is a good "tune-up" dive location to start off my week of diving. I just read where there was another incident on the benwood a few weeks prior. just goes to show that no matter how easy a dive location, still have to keep safety protocols in mind.

Later in the week I was doing a dolphin watch boat ride in Key West and we motored pass the special forces dive site and saw a bunch of trainee's on the beach. got to wonder if one of those trainees was the guy who died a few days later during a training dive?

those two situations sure did put a damper on a great week of diving in key largo!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom