MIA airport layover advice?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

slingshot

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm going to be arriving at Miami International at 5am on a redeye in August, and my next flight leaves at 2:40 pm. Any tips with what to do with the time? So far the options I've gathered are best summarized by:

1. Go to an airport bar (I'm not really a bar type guy)
2. Buy an AA Admirals Club pass for $50. (They have showers, but no real way to sleep unless you sleep in a chair, which I find difficult)
3. Try for a room at the onsite hotel (pretty bad reviews on line, rumors of bedbugs and lots of noise)
4. Off site hotel via airport shuttle (not sure if it is worth the hassle and cost for a couple of hours of actual in bed asleep time)
5. Pay for a cab and head to South Beach, where the party never stops...

What's a guy to do?
Slingshot

The best food at MIA is outside of security in front. Follow the airport workers.

You're really not stuck there all that long. Try going to the Red Sea or SoPac. The rental "tube beds" in Heathrow would be nice to have in the States.

#2 - Learn to sleep in a chair, they're pretty nice in the Admiral's Club.

Miami looks to have a decant bus service. My vote is South Beach and maybe you can get some sunrise photos, float around on the surf, check out some hot topless babes, play in the sand, get a nice beach shower, and get some seafood for lunch before heading back to the airport. Eat by 12:30 and head back. The airport is only 20 minutes from the beach but check the bus schedules as the buses may run every hour or longer. You also want to check on lockers to store stuff if needed. Carrying 40lbs of gear around does not sound fun if your not traveling lite.

Good luck and have fun!

RoatanMan the MIA admirals club chairs are designed with low backs so you can't really settle in to it, and are very straight backed. Saw tube beds in Japan and would love to see something like that in the lounge.
Ron: you have more ambition than I do! All I wanted to do was sleep, but your description of a possible alternative is intriguing.

Rent a car and drive up to Divers Direct in Ft. Lauderdale. Google Earth puts it at just under 25mi. It's a great store.
It's all I-95 except for a short stretch from MIA on the Airport fwy. Several of the car rental places front the fwy.
Divers Direct | Dive Shops Ft Lauderdale They open at 9AM.
There's also a Bass Pro Shop next door. Solves what to do with your carry-on also.

There's a LaQuinta Inn near the airport entrance maybe 1/2 mi? north by the car rental companies. They're right in the flightpath.
La Quinta Inn & Suites Miami Airport East | Expedia You may want to check if they - or any other hotel nearby - offer day rates.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom