Mexico

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yeah it is deep..I hear currents are bad everywhere..So does anybody know about snorkeling on the beaches in los cabos??

Most shops have gear rentals. I take my Reg,mask, booties.There are very few places to swim.I Dive with Baja Dive in the Tesoro Resort on the Marina.

Let me/us know which dive operation you use and what your thoughts are about the dive shop. I will be in Cabo in Jan. and I will be staying at Rui Palace. I will be diving and would love feedback about the shops in the area. Thanks.

We are thinking about Cabo in late January or February. Has anybody dove there that time of year? If so what are the conditions? I imagine the water temp is a bit chilly then but, otherwise, how is it? I Also have heard that there are usually a fair number of Whale Sharks in the area in December but, the weather can be a bit questionable. What about January and February?

So many questions!

Thanks

Ooops, I guess I should have looked down the thread list a bit further. I guess Someone had pretty much the same questions I did and the answers where there all along.

Later.

Alright, yeah i will check back in and let you know.. We got a quote from a dive shop and heres the deal.. It would be our fammily and friends all on a private sailboat, 3 divers, and the rest snorkeling. The cost is about 1000$..And i think we booked it..You get 6 hours all by yourself which includes drinks and food..The shop said that the snorkiling on the beach is not common but there are places you can go to by boat and the snorkeling is great... The temp really going to be 60 degrrees??? I dont have 7 mm im sure we could rent one.. I dont understand why the snorkeling is not good because of sand.lol...

We were staying in Cabo del San Jose and had a wonderful time. I was only able to dive one day (this was more of a sit-by-the-pool-and-relax-with-the-wife kind of trip), but it was a great experience especially since it was my first salt water dive. We went to Cabo Pulmo and dove with Cabo Pulmo Beach Resort - Cabo Pulmo Marine Park Baja Mexico.. My wife does not dive so she enjoyed their snorkeling tour instead.
The two tank dive was $130, but that included transportation to and from your resort. Since it is a two hour drive, it is a great deal.

Upon Arrival...
We set up our gear and checked everything at the dive shop, then loaded it into a truck for transport to the beach. Then we had a short briefing by our DM where we went over all the signals/procedures, and what to expect. Next, it was a short 3 minute walk down to the beach where our gear and the boat was awaiting us. We shoved off, and it was a 5 minute boat ride to our first destination on the reef.

First Dive...
We immediately dropped to 60ft and began fighting the current. We swam into the current the entire dive drifting backward looking over our shoulder from time to time so that we would not drift into the reef behind us. I was very anxious for the first ten minutes or so and burned through quite a lot of air. We saw tons of life, I could not even begin to identify half of what I saw. Here is the short list: Angels, puffers, parrotfish, morays, barracuda, huge grouper, and large school of jacks. Honestly, I was not very concerned with what I could see, but rather getting used to the current and drifting backward - it was a new sensation for me. I ended up with a 42 minute dive and max depth of 59ft, water temp was 85 degrees with 50-60ft vis.

Second Dive...
The second dive was much more relaxing. It was a wall dive where we could get out of the current and cruise at our leisure, stopping and looking when we wanted. I saw alot of the same fish as the first dive. We did see a school of reef cornetfish which were pretty cool to watch. The second dive was 56 minutes with a max depth of 56ft, water temp 85 degrees with 50-60ft vis.

Our DM said that they had seen a whaleshark cruising around our first dive site on the previous day, but no luck for us.

All in all, I had a great time and can't wait to get back in the water.

diveman3,
At the Dreams, you should be fairly close to Santa Maria and Chileno Bay where the currents are not bad. I spoke with quite a few people who snorkeled at both from the shore and enjoyed it. Chileno Bay does have a lot of rocks so if the water is rough, you have to be careful not to get cut up.
As I mentioned above, my wife snorkeled at Cabo Pulmo and she loved it. They were able to swim with the sea lions and check out the reef life.
My DM said that in a month or so the water temp at Cabo Pulmo will start dropping, but it should be low to mid 70s there at the end of November.
I hope my info has been somewhat informative for you.

Back
Top Bottom