Mexico

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diveman3

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hey all, looks like i will be getting away from the gulf of mexico.. For thanksgiving, we have booked a trip to cabo, in Mexico..We will be going for a week...Two questions..Does anybody have any experience here?..And i was planning on bring my reg and gauge setup, mask and snorkel, and maybe fins and boots...Now should i bring anything else?( I have everything)..I was planning on it being carry on, from what I've heard about checking in luggauge to Mexico....Thanks..

Kyle

I do not have experience in Cabo, but when we dive in Mexico, or any where else, we take everything but weights and tanks. (Although I do take my ankle weights too). We carry on the regs, computers, masks and all underwater camera gear. We check the BCs, fins, booties, wetsuits, and any other stuff we need.

Are you going to dive the Gordo Banks? That's the best diving off Cabo. If so, take all your gear, except lead & tank. It can get chilly. Deep, blue water diving. Long trip - but well worth it!! Lots of large pelagics schooling around those Sea Mounts.

diveman3,

We dove La Paz last month and brought full gear, no problems flying into and out of Cabo. We took the Baja shuttle up to La Paz, which is about 3 hours. Supposedly that is the best diving in Baja, and I can definitely say the diving was great.

We always carry our mask, regs and computers on with us, just in case. We figure we could rent the rest easier.

Thanks for the responeses...We fly into Phoenix then into Cabo..Yes we will dive gordo banks..Were staying at the dreams resort in los cabos in Thanksgiving..Is it not a pain to bring all the gear..I know were bringing regs and mask and booties for sure..Just dont know about Bc's and fins...What wetsuit would i use for thanksgiving..5? I only have a 3mm and gloves..Another question...Is it true that you cant go out to the beach...The resort is on the beach and I have heard that your not allowed to go in the water...Last question, what should i expect to see underwater?Thanks

Hey diveman3 - You're from Florida I see..I would bring an extra hoodie type vest if you're doing the Banks. It is deep, strong current at times and real chilly. The top of those mounts are about 100 feet down. Dives were 110 - 130 feet. I wear a 5mm and still get cold, but I am little and think 82 degrees is cold?? I did the banks in September a few years back and saw schooling Mantas, Hammerheads among many other fish, tons on gorgonians etc. Amazing dive and can be somewhat challenging.

Can't comment on the resort though...

82 degrees cold? That is warm to me..Does anybody know about the dreams resort and not being able to go into the water on the beach? What would be some good dive shops that are close to out resort?

My wife and I are headed to Cabo next week (first time there). My understanding is that most of the beach from Cabo San Lucas to Cabo del San Jose is too rough for swimming, etc. However, I think there may a couple of inlets where it is calm enough to get in the water. Someone who has been there may be able to give us details.

yes i have heard it can get pretty rough but can alos get pretty calm..What i am worried about is not the waves but the rip currents and under toe..When you come back I want a full summary on what ya did and how the water was!!! has anyboody ever been here? Thanks

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom