Mexico Trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubachris82

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi Everyone,

I was wondering if I could get some advice from you. I'm planning on going to mexico in september or october. First, I was wondering what the diving is like at that time of year? Second, I was wondering if anybody would recommend one place in Mexico as compared to another. I'm not sure which places have the best diving, so any recommendations would be great. Finally, the names of any dive charters/stores that you like that work out of your recommended area would be great.

Thanks for your help,
Chris

scubachris82:
Hi Everyone,

I was wondering if I could get some advice from you. I'm planning on going to mexico in september or october. First, I was wondering what the diving is like at that time of year? Second, I was wondering if anybody would recommend one place in Mexico as compared to another. I'm not sure which places have the best diving, so any recommendations would be great. Finally, the names of any dive charters/stores that you like that work out of your recommended area would be great.

Thanks for your help,
Chris

Warmer than Canada :D

Seriously, if you avoid hurricanes (you'll be at the end of hurricane season anyway), pretty much anywhere will be fine. Cozumel is considered something of a diver's mecca. The whole Mexican Caribbean area is fine. On the Pacific Ocean side, September/October is also a very good season; the Sea of Cortez warms up nicely, but the summer heat is dying down.

Check out the various Lonely Planet guides to Diving/Snorkeling; there's a Baja & a Cozumel guide (among others).

We go to Mexico every October but late October. Usually the last Thursday of October to the first Thursday of November. By then the hurricanes are usually through the area. You will probably experience winds that may either close the ports or require the dive boat to alter which dive site they visit. We save the cenote dives for the days the weather is not favorable for boat diving. Traveling on weekdays to avoid long Immigration and Customs crowds on the weekends is suggested. In no way do I mean any disrespect to the west coast of Mexico, I highly recommend the Yucatan (Cozumel, Mayan Riviera, Cancun).

Cozumel in mid-October: 90-95 degree days, 75-80 degree nights. Water temp around 85 degrees at depth. Occasional rain showers.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom