Mexican military and their guns - safe?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CBC908E7-DB4B-449C-A957-6CED24677F5C.jpeg
I’ve lost track of what this thread is about but if we’re posting pictures here’s one from Cozumel 2017

Those are the armored car guards - just like in the USA, they are armed and have a "team" on watch while the cash machine is being emptied. Not sure I get your point here.
I hope they are not emptying it! But it is possible.

A while back I was driving behind a large Mexican Marine truck with a dozen soldiers seated on the benches that ran along both sides of the truck bed. The soldier on the end of the bench directly in front of me had his weapon on his lap, with the muzzle pointed level with my head. It wasn't on purpose, just carelessness. At a stoplight, I rolled down my window and asked him to carry his weapon pointed up instead of at my head. He gave me a sneer and turned his head, but not his weapon. I got pissed off and turned around and drove to the Marine base and asked to talk to the commandant. The guard asked me why and I told him. He made a call and pretty quickly the man I wanted to see came out with his assistant. First, I thanked them for their service and then I told him why I was there. He agreed that the soldier was wrong and that they would find out who it was and fix the problem. I believe he did just what he promised, because I never had that problem again.

Unlike the US, Mexico has no Posse Comitatus Act and the government utilizes the Mexican Armed Forces to assist the various police forces to bolster those forces. This is normal now in Mexico and will probably be so for the foreseeable future. They are on our side, guys. They are trying to keep the bad guys from taking over.

Those are the armored car guards - just like in the USA, they are armed and have a "team" on watch while the cash machine is being emptied. Not sure I get your point here.

No specific point, just like the picture. They are much more heavily armed then their US counterparts. My friend who worked on ATMs for years was unarmed, of course over a decade ago. I actually liked it, I went to the restroom leaving my wife with all our luggage there, feeling she was very safe :)

A while back I was driving behind a large Mexican Marine truck with a dozen soldiers seated on the benches that ran along both sides of the truck bed. The soldier on the end of the bench directly in front of me had his weapon on his lap, with the muzzle pointed level with my head. It wasn't on purpose, just carelessness. At a stoplight, I rolled down my window and asked him to carry his weapon pointed up instead of at my head. He gave me a sneer and turned his head, but not his weapon. I got pissed off and turned around and drove to the Marine base and asked to talk to the commandant. The guard asked me why and I told him. He made a call and pretty quickly the man I wanted to see came out with his assistant. First, I thanked them for their service and then I told him why I was there. He agreed that the soldier was wrong and that they would find out who it was and fix the problem. I believe he did just what he promised, because I never had that problem again.

Unlike the US, Mexico has no Posse Comitatus Act and the government utilizes the Mexican Armed Forces to assist the various police forces to bolster those forces. This is normal now in Mexico and will probably be so for the foreseeable future. They are on our side, guys. They are trying to keep the bad guys from taking over.

I don't mind at all. I felt extremely safe when I worked in Israel. There was pretty much zero street crime with all the firearms carried around - much safer than a typical American urban street. If you want to point out terrorism, you have a much higher chance of dying in a car accident here or there.

I agree that the Marine's are the good guys. It's unfortunate that due to the weakness of the formal law enforcement and court systems in Mexico that they are depoyed in law enforcement roles. The military (anywhere) is simply not designed as a law enforcement force and using it as such will degrade and probably corrupt it over time.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/thecon...-should-it-really-be-deployed-as-police-75521

Back
Top Bottom