Mexican "ecocide" of its cenotes with the train line is finally mainstream news to the non-diving world

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cenotes

Registered
Reaction score
A mystical cenote near Mérida when not in Chicago
# of dives
500 - 999
The environmental issues surrounding President AMLO's train project have now become mainstream news. The alert of Mexican "ecocide" of Yucatan cenotes under the train line has fortunately and finally reached the main page of APnews.com -- the epicenter of news dissemination -- to educate the unknowledgeable: An underwater paradise under threat.

The article, and in particular, the 11-minute video documentary, will be eye-openers to the rest of the world which knows nothing about this horrendous disaster, or even what a cenote is. Unfortunately, however, ecocide related to the train line construction has already spiraled irreparably far out of control.

The Victorians had the right idea. Just build to advance progress. Today it costs more to get planning permission that the actual building of infrastructure assets. As for time, a new road can take over twenty years to get through planning.

I’m looking forward to using the new trains.

The environmental issues surrounding President AMLO's train project have now become mainstream news. The alert of Mexican "ecocide" of Yucatan cenotes under the train line has fortunately and finally reached the main page of APnews.com -- the epicenter of news dissemination -- to educate the unknowledgeable: An underwater paradise under threat.

The article, and in particular, the 11-minute video documentary, will be eye-openers to the rest of the world which knows nothing about this horrendous disaster, or even what a cenote is. Unfortunately, however, ecocide related to the train line construction has already spiraled irreparably far out of control.
Where is the video link?
The picture in the article shows a concrete column in a cenote, but no destruction or debris.

I have been reading about the destruction for weeks, but have not seen any videos.

Please post the link. Thanks

Never mind, just found it.

Watched the video
didn't see the damage
Pollution from sewage is a problem according to the video

Yeah, I'm not following how the most green form of transportation is a threat.

Watched the video
didn't see the damage
You did watch the video with the sound on and not while you were asleep, right? I say that not to be condescending, but to add some humor to a topic that really is horrendously not funny. How did you not see:

1. Drilling large holes into the cenotes to pass large support pillars, ruining cenote floor and ceiling decorations?
2. Pouring cement into those pillars which leaked out into the cenotes?
3. Iron leaching into the water from the pillars as evidenced by the scientist's chemical test, contrary to AMLO's claim that the pillars have a "coating" which should prevent that?
4. The scientist's hand was brown with muck after he touched one pillar?

Are you certain you watched the same video I did?

You did watch the video with the sound on and not while you were asleep, right? I say that not to be condescending, but to add some humor to a topic that really is horrendously not funny. How did you not see:

1. Drilling large holes into the cenotes to pass large support pillars, ruining cenote floor and ceiling decorations?
2. Pouring cement into those pillars which leaked out into the cenotes?
3. Iron leaching into the water from the pillars as evidenced by the scientist's chemical test, contrary to AMLO's claim that the pillars have a "coating" which should prevent that?
4. The scientist's hand was brown with muck after he touched one pillar?

Are you certain you watched the same video I did?
Yes, concrete is inert.
Yes I saw the holes being drilled
Yes his hand had some rust on it. Not hazardous contaminants. The surface will soon be covered in iron oxide and will form a protective layer.
Yes it is disruptive, and any intrusion is a change, but is it a disaster?

It is horrible. Also, connecting Cancun with forests and natural wonders is probably the worst idea for everyone involved. Looking forward to articles about 'Merican tourists disappearing in the jungle, broken train system, etc.

The Victorians had the right idea. Just build to advance progress. Today it costs more to get planning permission that the actual building of infrastructure assets. As for time, a new road can take over twenty years to get through planning.

I’m looking forward to using the new trains.
I hope the progress you're speaking about does not run over you.

I have read there are hundreds of cenotes waiting to be discovered in Mexico. What's your opinion?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom