Mexican Customs Declaration

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Craigus

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
We're going to Coz over Christmas and New Years. It's our first trip to Mexico. I read the Customs Declaration that we are required to submit when entering Mexico, and it appears that many things we divers bring with us are not covered in the exemptions. Should I expect any hassle about this?

Many thanks! Let's get wet! :tree: :tree: :tree:

Eric

What kind of items are you referring to? I've flown into Cancun twice and will for a 3rd time in two weeks, plus I've cruised into Cozumel as well. All to dive. What are you thinking you may have a problem with? I'm confused.:confused:

I returned from Cozumel last night. I have a ton of gear and still fall within the guidelines. No trouble whatsoever. I even got the "red light" and they searched through them by hand. Maybe you have some out of the ordinary stuff?

:sombrero:

Craigus once bubbled...
We're going to Coz over Christmas and New Years. It's our first trip to Mexico. I read the Customs Declaration that we are required to submit when entering Mexico, and it appears that many things we divers bring with us are not covered in the exemptions. Should I expect any hassle about this?

Many thanks! Let's get wet!

Eric

Nope. Nada. I think maybe you misread the meaning of "exceptions," a word usually used in dealing with import taxes. Since the only things you'll probably leave in Mexico are trash and money, not applicable.

Not sure about your meaning, though? Look at this site, then give us the quote that bothers you, okay:

www.mexonline.com/mexcustoms.htm

Do not bring Food (fisish the trail mix on the plane), plants, animals, and certainly no firearms!! Be sure to pack all knives in checked luggage, and frisk yourself at the airport before security to see if you forgot a pen knife. :nono:

Might go to your airlines web site and check about prohibitions in checked luggage, but there's no problems with most dive gear, other than maybe CO2 cartridges (can't spear fish there anyway), flares, O2 bottles, pony bottle with air pressure (Delta allows 40 pounds, but I drain mine completely). You have anything in partiuclar you're concerned about?

BTW, do not put tap water in your mouth for any reasons :brushteet and pour listermint mouthwash over your reg and snorkel mouthpieces after rinsging. I don't even trust their bottled water, treating water myself in my room (supplies from sporting goods stores), and I take stomach meds just in case.

have fun, don :bandito:

Don's link helped a lot.

I was confused because the declaration actually lists the things that locals and foreigners can bring with them. I wasn't sure if that was an inclusive list or an exclusive list. After reading Don's suggested link, I gather that it's an inclusive list ... and that dive gear and stuff like that, as long as it's personal, is AOK . ... which is what you all said. And, that's all I was asking.

Thanks, everyone!
C'mon, Christmas!!!
Let's get wet!! :tree: :tree: :tree:

Eric

dandydon once bubbled...
:sombrero:BTW, do not put tap water in your mouth for any reasons :brushteet and pour listermint mouthwash over your reg and snorkel mouthpieces after rinsging. I don't even trust their bottled water, treating water myself in my room (supplies from sporting goods stores), and I take stomach meds just in case.

have fun, don :bandito:

And how many times a day do you wash your hands? Just curious have you ever suffered the revenge while in Mexico? I have rinsed my mouth with tap water, never sterilized my regs, drank Mexican bottled water, never taken stomach meds and never had a problem. In fact I don't know anyone who has ever had a problem. Do you? Don't get me wrong an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure but hey lets not get carried away.

the tap water is not purified. It would be the same as drinking water from a river. I have drank the water a couple of times by accident in the last couple of years that I have lived here. Yes, you do get sick, stomach and diarrhea. (did I mention diarrhea lol) The bottled water is good to drink as long as it is from a repitable company. The coca-cola company in Mexico is one of the largest purified drinking water companys in the country!! I think that the biggest concern one should have is the food and how it is prepared. Also if you have a weak system you should be extra careful!! Veggies washed with tap water than served wet can made you sick ie-salad. I would also recommend stomach and diarrhea medicine just in case. If you do get sick its not to bad, you will live, maybe. LOL:) I still only drink bottled water in the hotel even if they say the water is purified.(weak system)

Tim Ingersoll once bubbled...

In fact I don't know anyone who has ever had a problem. Do you? Don't get me wrong an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure but hey lets not get carried away.

I follow a simple set of rules, and I never got sick in 20+ trips to Coz - until last time. My sister handed me what she thought was a fresh beer, but was actually an empty that had been put back in the ice chest that had been stocked 2 days before from partial bags we found floating in a broken ice machine that had a foot of standing water in it. I took a big hit (I was very thirsty) before I realized that there was something wrong. I was sick for a week with severe cramping, nausea, and diarrhea.

Don't do that.

Tim Ingersoll once bubbled...

And how many times a day do you wash your hands? Just curious have you ever suffered the revenge while in Mexico? I have rinsed my mouth with tap water, never sterilized my regs, drank Mexican bottled water, never taken stomach meds and never had a problem. In fact I don't know anyone who has ever had a problem. Do you? Don't get me wrong an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure but hey lets not get carried away.

Do you win at lottery, too?

Yeah, I've been sick, I've seen divers spend days in their rooms, and one on a recent trip came back with Giarida...

http://vm.cfsan.fda.gov/~mow/chap22.html

It doesn't take much to use safe water, disinfect mouthpieces*, and pack stomach meds just in case.

* Some divers pee in their wet suits, and some lie about it, but they all rinse their wet suits in the same tank you rinse your regs and snorkel in. :chuck:

Dive safely, and travel safely. Buckle those seat belts! :shiner:

don

Any person including turist divers entering Mexico (any way) are allow to introduce an used sport equipment that can be carried by a person. That should include most of your gear.

Eating and drinking.
Cozumel is a Top tourist destination (world wide) if you eat at established restaurants, you shouldn't have any problem. You can even drink water from hotels, because they use internationally regulated purification systems.
Just don't drink form any faucet on the street, according to some doctors (US) the main problem is that your stomack is used to and have defenses against different "fauna" that the one you'll find in other country.
good look

Back
Top Bottom