Mexican Cenotes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

simcoediver once bubbled...
Are the Dos Ojos and Choc M cenotes close to the ferry dock from Cozumel? Sorry I really do not know my Mexican geography that well.

We started off on the Cozumel and then switched hotels to one in PDC for the Cenotes. Dos Ojos was pretty close to PDC (which about 45 mins from the ferry). Choc Maal was further. We used Dive Aventuras and the DMs were great. As the ocean conditions were poor, Dive Aventuras was trying to get us to switch to a closer Cenote so they could handle the increased Cenote divers (switching from the ocean). The owner kept saying that Choc Maal was not all that special and that one of the other Cenotes would be just as good. I told him that we had specifically requested Choc Maal and thats what we wanted. All the while the DMs are in the background urging me on (they wanted to go to Choc Maal too). In the end, the owner agreed and we had a great trip. Except for that little 'discussion', it would have been a GREAT experience, so now its an almost great - I would still highly recommend them.

DeepScuba once bubbled...
Definately a must do Simcoe.

You usually get a package deal that includes the ferry trip to the mainland, transportation by vehicle to site, lunch, tanks/weights, any entrance fees required.

Usually around $125-$150 per person, and of course it's an all day event, bring your c-card they'll want to see it too.

Do it the last day to get a fairly decent fresh water cleaning of your gear.

You should also bring something warmer than a 3/2mm as it's a little cold than the ocean.

My 3/2 worked for me. I spent 4 1/2 hours in the cenotes one day in an old 3/2 and was quite comfortable. Some of us Canucks are pretty hardy. I was more comfortable in the 3/2 than I have been in my 7mm on lots of Southern Ontario dives. But then I have a little extra insulation. I liked Taj Mahal BTW.

John F

I've checked out all the links and recommendations here, but I can't find a dive op that will pick up on PDM at the Ferry from Coz and deliver me back the same day. We're going to be in Coz at Christmas and I'd love to do this, but the rest of the family doesn't dive so I've got to fit this in one day. Can anyone help?

JeffMandell once bubbled...
I've checked out all the links and recommendations here, but I can't find a dive op that will pick up on PDM at the Ferry from Coz and deliver me back the same day. We're going to be in Coz at Christmas and I'd love to do this, but the rest of the family doesn't dive so I've got to fit this in one day. Can anyone help?

Email Fred at fred@aquaexploration.com and ask if he can help. He runs a one-man show out of Puerto Aventuras and is pretty busy with teaching cave diving and doing exploration dives but he may have some time. He's a nice down to earth guy (naturally, he's a Canuck) and an excellent (read safe) cavediver. If nothing else get him to tell you about their latest exploration dives which required 3 scooters per dive for each diver.

Read about the caves at http://www.aquaexploration.com and say hello for me if you write to him.

John Francis

JeffMandell once bubbled...

My wife and I just returned from PDC. The operator we used was
"Dive Mike" located just a couple of blocks from the ferry. We started at 9:00am, were taken to Dos Ojos which is about a 45 minute drive, enjoyed 2 tank dive and returned by 3:00. The DM
was very knowledgeable and friendly. Although we weren't picked up at our hotel (which was not far from the dive shop) we
were dropped off there. It was a great dive, with a great dive
operator.

I just checked Dive Mike and they do look to have the full service, so thanks very much for the tip.

Back
Top Bottom