Mexican Cenote Crystal Clear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Fishstyx

Registered
Reaction score
I tried cenote diving while in Cancun recently and it was amazing. This pic was taken by the dive guide. That's me standing on the rock. The light effects in the clear water were cool.

Jason

Attachments

• r1.jpg
    r1.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 279
Beautiful shot, can't wait to go down there again. Which cenote was it?
That rock looks like a nice place to rest :)

The Cenote was Chac Mool / Kukulkan. Max depth was about 55'. When I signed up for the dive I expected we'd be diving in caverns without underwater overhead. However, except for the pools, most of the dive was with a hard overhead. We had five guys and two were not comfortable. One didn't do the second tank.

Here's a pic of me standing on the bottom.

Attachments

• r7.jpg
    r7.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 183
OK, I've got to ask, Why were you standing on the bottom? One of the things I was taught was to NEVER touch anything -- especially not in a cave.

Looks like a beautiful dive but I am with Peter. I play by the rule that if I touch the bottom, it is a true accident or I am in "trouble".

I will edit my post to say to the OP, while we are making the point that touching anything that is avoidable or unnecessary while underwater is absolutely wrong, we are not trying to run you off. Marine conservation is a very passionate topic for many around here :D. That is not a bad thing though IMHO. You are a very new member (this thread seems to be your first posts) and you need to understand that SB members will point out things such as you standing on the bottom so that anybody else that sees it, know it is wrong and should not be done. This can be a safety thing or maybe a conservation thing.

Stick around and keep contributing.

Last edited:
Chac Mool is not heavily decorated, nor very silty, which is why it is one of the sites used for tours and training. But every time we touch the rock, we damage it -- at the very least, we leave visible scars that change the experience for everyone after us. If someone has to touch the bottom for stability because of a problem, that's one thing. But standing on the rocks should be something one is embarrassed to have done.

Fishstyx, I apologize for my post because it did come out "harsher" than I had wanted (and thank you to SS for your note to the OP). I hope you will come back and tell us more about your dives in the Cenotes and about the pictures. Did your guide pose you? (I set up a shot of several people kneeling on the bottom with several others floating above them -- sometimes the picture takes precedence over other rules -- just ask any photographer!)

I will add that being a Certified Line Following Cave Tourist, I love diving in the caves and have become a little (perhaps overly) protective.

.......sometimes the picture takes precedence over other rules -- just ask any photographer!

:blush: I hate to say it but I would be lying if I said that I had not broken a rule or two in order to better frame a shot or to get that special subject. I try to be careful about it but it does happen once in a while. :blush: Maybe as I get better as a "photographer-wanna-be" I will break fewer.

Love the first picture. Snorkeling in the Cenotes and on Maui and Cozumel is what got us into diving and me into UW photography. I'd love to get into the Cenotes on Scuba, although I'm a bit claustrophobic to get into serious cave diving. Agreed, the occasional finger on a rock for stability is OK (especially while shooting a pic) but full body contact should be avoided.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom