Metro Detroit Area Dive Shops

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

adzam09

New
Reaction score
Hi!

Looking if anyone has an insight on Dive Shops in the metro Detroit area to get Open Water certified. I am just getting into diving and looking for a shop that provides excellent and thorough instruction. There seem to be multiple options but I am looking for any personal recommendations or experiences to pick the best one! I think we are going to do part one with classroom/pool here in Mich, then take the referral slip to Key Largo to combine it with our vacation this spring so we don't miss out on utilizing that trip to scuba. If you have any suggestions in down in the Keys too that would be helpful!

Thanks so much!:)

Just about any of the dive shops in the metro Detroit area will offer training as well as refer you to your OW cert dives. It pretty much depends on where you are located in the Detroit area. Royal Oak has Rec Diving. Rochester has US Scuba Center. St. Clair Shores has Sea-Side. I am most familiar with Rec Diving and Sea-Side but US Scuba Center, I believe, has a pool onsite. There are others as well (google comes in handy).

Several shops use local school or indoor community pools for training with a variety of schedules. Community Ed is another place to check. Keep in mind that dive shops will want to offer you not only training but equipment and travel as well.

--Gary

Metro Detroit is a pretty vague and large area. What city are you in? If your one of the few remaining in the big D proper, East/West side? North or South?

We live near Grosse Pointe/St. Clair Shores/ New Baltimore areas so anywhere in between or even nearby. We don't mind driving either if it would be worth it!

We live near Grosse Pointe/St. Clair Shores/ New Baltimore areas so anywhere in between or even nearby. We don't mind driving either if it would be worth it!

I live in the GP area as well and took my pool work through GP Community Ed. In SCS, Sea-Side Dive Shop is on Harper between 11 and 12 Mile Rd. They always have training options available either several weeks long or a couple of weekends long depending on what you like. They've been in business for quite a long time.

Last edited:
Anchor Bay Scuba is north of New Baltimore in Fair Haven. Brunos lies on Gratiot near 16 mile.

Both Anchor Bay and Bruno's have their own pool and can start classes with you immediately. All the shops will run e-learning classes. Don at Anchor Bay is a fantastic instructor. Michael Lynch at Brunos is also an outstanding instructor. If you go to Bruno's ask for him to teach you. Dennis at Sea Side is top notch. Sea Side usually waits until they have a full class before they get going and then uses a community pool for their confined.

In Key Largo I am a fan of Sailfish Scuba. Small shop and your classes will be just you two with an instructor who has been teaching for years vs 2 months. I refer my students to Sailfish if they are finishing their check outs.

Hope that helps. I also am in GP. Glad to have another diver in the area.

Bus

In Key Largo Big shout out for Silent World Diving. I am from Brighton we have a great shop but too far away from you. Ann Arbor has a couple great stores as well.

Back
Top Bottom