Metric versus Imperial System for Diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, I don't see any switch to metric in the US anytime soon either, but familiarizing with metric system and using it whenever it's feasible is a good thing. The Japanese learn 4 different writing systems. It takes much more effort for the Japanese or Chinese to be considered "literate" than any Westerner. The result is that they have much better study discipline, they are capable of learning much more much faster, they have no problem using any Western writing or numerical system, they excel in science, in engineering, etc.

Yet in the US the attitude goes like this: "I'm fine with what I have, I don't wanna change, I don't wanna learn, I don't care about the rest".

---------- Post added October 28th, 2014 at 07:14 PM ----------

... The US mandates "imperial or metric" at best...

Actually US mandates recognition of metric too. It's people who resist. Metric Conversion Act passed by Ford.

http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/STATUTE-89/pdf/STATUTE-89-Pg1007.pdf

To declare a national policy of coordinating the increasing use of the metric
system in the United States, and to establish a United States Metric Board
to coordinate the voluntary conversion to the metric system.

SEC. 2. The Congress finds as follows:

(1) The United States was an original signatory party to the
1875 Treaty of the Meter (20 Stat. 709), which established the
General Conference of Weights and Measures, the International
Committee of Weights and Measures and the International Bureau
of Weights and Measures.

(2) Although the use of metric measurement standards in the
United States has been authorized by law since 1866 (Act of
July 28, 1866; 14 Stat. 339), this Nation today is the only
industrially developed nation which has not established a national
policy of committing itself and taking steps to facilitate
conversion to the metric system

SEC. 3. It is therefore declared that the policy of the United States
shall be to coordinate and plan the increasing use of the metric system
in the United States and to establish a United States Metric Board
to coordinate the voluntary conversion to the metric system.

---------- Post added October 28th, 2014 at 07:30 PM ----------

And then there is a Executive order signed by Bush - father.

Executive Order 12770 - Wikisource, the free online library

About using metric system in Federal Government programs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Personal freedom? No metric country (that I know of) keeps you from measuring yourself in whatever units you wish to use. It's only when it comes to conducting certain official business that they step in. Some kind of measurement has to be mandated in order to keep everybody on the same page. Metric countries mandate metric. The US mandates "imperial or metric" at best. There's your difference.

So; is recreational diving considered certain official business or a voluntary pastime? Seems you are caught in your own definition.

As to seeing the US in a not so critical eye. Yes I'm serious. I am more a realist than an idealist, though I may value certain ideals. I just know that reality is not as neat and easy as theoretical should be's. There are some issues I would get my panties in a twist over, but whether divers use bar vs psi isn't one of them. That's a real "first world" problem ie. a situation one can get all fired up about but really has no meaningful effect on anyone's life.

I also don't think a Canadian should be too smug about the US problems regarding measures. We have an official language policy that makes us look like a joke but we go along with it because we do not want to provoke another round of separatist referendums. What about our first nations policies. How about shoveling billions into a corrupt system that benefits a few for fear that facing corruption may provoke controversy. We accept the unfairness to avoid confrontation. At least the US occasionally faces it's own demons. We just deny they exist.

So yes... I'm not so arrogant.

Last edited:
...//... As to seeing the US in a not so critical eye. Yes I'm serious. I am more a realist than an idealist, though I may value certain ideals. I just know that reality is not as neat and easy as theoretical should be's. ...//...

Beautiful.

And by the way, the US is ultimately metric based. 1" = 2.54 cm EXACTLY. This means that we both key off of the same piece of metal under glass in somebody's basement in France.

In the US, we just like to use multipliers that aren't powers of ten. Makes life more interesting.:wink:

In the US, we just like to use multipliers that aren't powers of ten. Makes life more interesting.:wink:

I'm not even going to mention two bits, six bits, sawbucks and a fin.

Actually US mandates recognition of metric too. It's people who resist. Metric Conversion Act passed by Ford.
Those were the halfhearted attempts I mentioned earlier. I don't (fully) blame the people though. The government talking about converting to metric is one thing. Them actually doing something about it is another. As long as road signs still show a mixture of feet, yards, miles and fractions thereof, press releases from NASA still talk pounds instead of kg or tonnes, people have no incentive of doing anything themselves.

So; is recreational diving considered certain official business or a voluntary pastime? Seems you are caught in your own definition.
No, because I wasn't talking about diving. No metric country (again, that I know of) prohibits use of imperial units for personal use, be it diving or otherwise, nor prohibits dive schools from teaching courses in imperial or any other units that they'd rather like. But conversion needs to start somewhere, and it needs to be things like public signage, everything coming from and relating to the government, units used in public markets, etc. Once that is in place, the rest will slowly follow.

No, because I wasn't talking about diving. No metric country (again, that I know of) prohibits use of imperial units for personal use, be it diving or otherwise, nor prohibits dive schools from teaching courses in imperial or any other units that they'd rather like. But conversion needs to start somewhere, and it needs to be things like public signage, everything coming from and relating to the government, units used in public markets, etc. Once that is in place, the rest will slowly follow.

Who cares?
If you're happy, and they're happy, why be concerned about how another country conducts its affairs? Unless you own stock in the metric company I don't get it. Aren't there enough real problems to worry about. The fact that I need a passport to drive across the border to do a dive concerns me more than the fact that the speed limit is posted in MPH. That part doesn't affect my life... but, that's the Canadian way. We navel gaze about things of no importance (hockey) while ignoring real problems hoping big brother (government) will take care of all that for us.

OK, I'm convinced that there appear to be clear benefits to diving metric. So, I guess I will have to replace my 10 +/- imperial SPGs, my 2 imperial IP gauges, my 2 imperial tank pressure checkers, and my 5 imperial only dive computers. I can probably just retire the 6 depth gauges I still have.

Well, maybe I'll wait a while longer.

Who cares?
If you're happy, and they're happy, why be concerned about how another country conducts its affairs? Unless you own stock in the metric company I don't get it. Aren't there enough real problems to worry about. The fact that I need a passport to drive across the border to do a dive concerns me more than the fact that the speed limit is posted in MPH. That part doesn't affect my life... but, that's the Canadian way. We navel gaze about things of no importance (hockey) while ignoring real problems hoping big brother (government) will take care of all that for us.
Did anybody keep track of how many times we went around the circle so far?

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom