Metalsub vs Miflex hoses

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

aussie_ian

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi there, well its about time i replaced my regulator hoses and i found both Miflex and Metalsub braided hoses which are apparently lighter and higher burst pressure but can anyway enlighten me as to why i should chose Miflex over Metalsub ? Metalsub seem to be more affordable but i would chose safety if the Miflex are better quality and longer lasting ? any feedback appreciated.
The only thread i found was from many years ago i guess they improve them over time

Cheers

I know nothing about the metal sub hoses So I can't speak to those.

However I opted to go with my flex hoses across the board When I replaced my rubber hoses.

For me the choice was more about variety of colors than anything else.

I wanted specific hoses color-coded a certain way and miflex allowed me to do that.

I have been told by a number of colleagues that I'm crazy for going for the braided hoses because they wear out faster. Some of my miflex hoses are now 4 years old and pass pressure And visual tests every year. Some of the braid fibers are broken, but not enough to be unacceptable

On the other hand most of my old rubber hoses would be weather checked or show service cracks after 18 months. And seldom lasted 36 months.

I am confident in my braided hoses and have found them To have the best bang for the buck

Would love to be able to check the myflex underneath the braid to see how it's doing but alas that's not possible.

I use primarily Miflex hoses and have no experience of the Metalsub ones, not having heard of them until this thread.

I had to replace an HP hose last year and at the time I could only get a rubber one. It blew last month as I was setting up my gear.

Murphy's law, I had left my spare reg set at home, but my buddy had a spare gauge on a short hose (for side mount), and I fitted that. I asked him to check my air occasionally during the dive as I couldn't read it.

One is Metalsub the other Miflex, very much the same.
Took me awhile to remember which was which.
Blue set warm water resorts like Bali, the grey set local, I mix and match the 2nd stages, no reason, just because I can.
IMG_20231011_111740 - Copy.jpg
IMG_20231011_112016.jpg

Thanks everyone for your advice, well i ordered the Miflex for my primary regulator and Metalsub for secondary reg and BCD, as we live in Australia now and our gear is in psi i got two new gauges (with rubber hose HP ) in Bar now to wait for the shipping . cheers

Hi there, well its about time i replaced my regulator hoses and i found both Miflex and Metalsub braided hoses which are apparently lighter and higher burst pressure but can anyway enlighten me as to why i should chose Miflex over Metalsub ? Metalsub seem to be more affordable but i would chose safety if the Miflex are better quality and longer lasting ? any feedback appreciated.
The only thread i found was from many years ago i guess they improve them over time

Cheers
I bought a transfill from metal sub. You get what you pay for. First off reading on the pressure gauge is not accurate. Second after 3 uses the hose start to leak now I am fighting with dive inn to get a refund.

short story long don’t buy anything from metal sub. Poor quality poor design. Now I know.

Go miflex I use one for my poney reg.

Thanks everyone for your advice, well i ordered the Miflex for my primary regulator and Metalsub for secondary reg and BCD, as we live in Australia now and our gear is in psi i got two new gauges (with rubber hose HP ) in Bar now to wait for the shipping . cheers
No don’t buy metal sub !

No don’t buy metal sub !
My LP hoses have been in use for a couple of years now, no Metal sub HP hoses though.
Darn, that is sad to hear, don't you just hate any doubt you may have about any scuba gear you use ? I am not alone, of that I am sure.:sad2:

Back
Top Bottom