metal/ plastic?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kjpwong

Reaction score
hi guys
just a question regarding regulators. are stainless steel regulators (2nd stage) more durable and reliable? i was told that they last longer than plastic ones they all make today, but i really struggle to find steel ones? anyone knows any manufacturers that still manufacture stainless steel regulators these days?

I think DA Aquamaster said it all:

"I am quite sure God intended single hose regulators to have chrome plated brass second stages. I have not yet been able to tie the rise of plastic cased second stages to the Axis of Evil, Ossama Bin Laden or any other threat to national security and the American way of life, but I'm working on it."
DA Aquamaster

I personally only use brass and chrome 2nds. They just don't wear out.

I've used both and I prefer the newer plastic ones because they are very lightweight and don't have as much drag. It's really a personal preference. I've had my Atomic for 7 years and it's held up well.

Scott

Creed:
I think DA Aquamaster said it all:

I personally only use brass and chrome 2nds. They just don't wear out.

Great quote!

Plastic parts in plastic regs, or metal parts in metal regs. Which is going to last longer?

I have metal Mares Abyss and the Kirby Morgan regs. They breath great and seem to be indestructible. They also breath warmer in cold water.

I dive old scubapro metal 2nds. They are readily available on ebay. I bought one that was in obviouly bad shape (real cheap) and it still works fine.

Personally I find that I get less dry mouth with a metal 2nd stage. I bought one reg with a plastic 2nd when I first got back into diving, but haven't used it since I got my Conshelf XIV.

Beginning in the mid 80's reg manufactuers marketed plastic second stages as being really great as they theoretically allowed a more optimized case design and allowed the addition of features like flow vanes etc, that made the reg more user adjustable. They were also marketed as being lighter and more comfortabel to use.

In fact, I have never seen the performance increase that was supposed to come form the optimized case deisgn as the older metal case designs were already quite good. And as far as adjustable flow vanes go, most divers dive with them more or less in the middle which resuts in a venturi effect nearly identical to what you got with a metal cased second stage anyway.

Weight is a potential benefit, but plastic second stages have to have a much larger and bulkier case to accommodate the same size diaphragm so you have to accept greater size or a smaller diaphragm with less mechanical advantage. And in terms of comfort, hose lenght and mouthpiece design have far more to do with comfort or jaw fatigue than the minimal difference in in-water weights between plastic and metal second stages.

Plus in addition to being far more prone to scuffing, cracking, and general wear than a metal second stage, plastic second stages have poor heat transfer traits which makes them more prone to freezing in cold water and due to the same lack of heat transfer, they also produce less condensation which results in plastic regs causing dry mouth on long dives.

So the only real winners were the equipment manufacturers who went from using a comparatively expensive to produce chrome plated brass case to a plastic case that cost about $3.00 per unit to produce. I would have perhaps been more appreciative of this except the cost to the consumer for these cheaper (in every sense of the word) second stages actually increased as they priced them according to marketing hype rather than on their real value to the diver.

Essentially the dive industry screwed divers in the 80's and 90's and, believing the marketing hype, most divers thanked them for it. The ill informed will for the most part not be caught dead on a dive boat with an "old" metal cased second stage.

I have bought numerous Scubapro Adjustable and Balanced Adjustable second stages on e-bay and while condition has varied with some being pristine and others being extremely used with copper or brass showing inside where the chrome has corroded away, I have yet to find one that could not be returned to fully serviceable condition relatively easily. Most, when upgraded with the current S-wing poppet and balance chamber used in the G250, breathe as well as or better than a G250 or S600 while offerring more durabilty and less dry mouth.

DA Aquamaster:
I have bought numerous Scubapro Adjustable and Balanced Adjustable second stages on e-bay and while condition has varied with some being pristine and others being extremely used with copper or brass showing inside where the chrome has corroded away, I have yet to find one that could not be returned to fully serviceable condition relatively easily. Most, when upgraded with the current S-wing poppet and balance chamber used in the G250, breathe as well as or better than a G250 or S600 while offerring more durabilty and less dry mouth.
Amen. I use Aqualung metal 2nds, from the older Calypso models to the newest Conshelf XIV models. The most banged up, worn 2nd stage(a Conshelf XI, for the record) I got off of ebay just needed a new diaphram and lp seat. The most likely damaged piece I have seen so far is the exhaust tee, which is frequently split. In other words, only the plastic bits are likely to be damaged beyond usability.

I actually like the older, screw-on style of exhaust tee better. I imagine that they changed those out because of the possibility of stripping the screw out in the case, but they are so much easier to remove and reattach.

what would you guys suggest if i dive in warm to cool water most of the times, between 15-25C?
i looked up mares and there are quite a few metal regulators, has anyone used any of them? they all look pretty similar to me.

Back
Top Bottom