Metal Impact AL72

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mcg2015

Registered
Reaction score
Hello, I see DGX is now stocking AL72's made by Metal Impact. I'm not familiar with this company and am wondering if anyone has any experience with these and how they compare to Hy-Mark's (seems to be preferred AL72 on here) or Catalina's (I'm not sure if Luxfer makes or ever made of AL72)?

I'm also wondering why AL72's aren't more popular for deco bottles. It seems to be an optimum size for a 50% bottle by my calculations. For a tech dive that can reasonably be done with just one deco bottle (i.e., about 30 minutes of deco), the average depth from 70 to surface is ~2 ata, SAC rate assumption of .75 cuft/min (I know this is much higher than mine and most people'd SAC for deco, but works for a conservative estimate), ends up requiring about 45 cu ft. Multiple that by 1.5 and you need about 68 cu ft of 50%. But most people I see on charters here in S. Fl are using 80's (myself included) or 40's (too small unless doing short deco or also carrying O2). Is it just because of availability issues or is there another reason to prefer an 80 over a 72 for the 70 ft bottle?

Competition is good so while I can't answer your question, I'd hope that we get another manufacturer enter the market.

Metal impact has been around for a few years. They were originally sold in xs scuba. I have two of their 50cf tanks. Nothing wrong with them. Xs scuba doesnt advertise them last I checked. Kinda diminishes my theory that MI was made by xs's Worthington acquisition.

Hello, I see DGX is now stocking AL72's made by Metal Impact. I'm not familiar with this company and am wondering if anyone has any experience with these and how they compare to Hy-Mark's (seems to be preferred AL72 on here) or Catalina's (I'm not sure if Luxfer makes or ever made of AL72)?

I'm also wondering why AL72's aren't more popular for deco bottles. It seems to be an optimum size for a 50% bottle by my calculations. For a tech dive that can reasonably be done with just one deco bottle (i.e., about 30 minutes of deco), the average depth from 70 to surface is ~2 ata, SAC rate assumption of .75 cuft/min (I know this is much higher than mine and most people'd SAC for deco, but works for a conservative estimate), ends up requiring about 45 cu ft. Multiple that by 1.5 and you need about 68 cu ft of 50%. But most people I see on charters here in S. Fl are using 80's (myself included) or 40's (too small unless doing short deco or also carrying O2). Is it just because of availability issues or is there another reason to prefer an 80 over a 72 for the 70 ft bottle?
80s are available second hand for cheap around here. I have 9 of them and they were all purchased used, stripped, tumbled, and hydroed for a lot less than new.

why carry an al72 when you can cavefill a lp50?

A Lp50 at 3800 is still only 68 cubes. Cool for bailout, not as cool for anything else.

Folks...

I bought a Metal Impact 19 last year from DGX...excellent quality...inside/outside/thread cut/info stamping...

The new long 72's will make a nice light set of doubles if Mark goes ahead and has band sets made up...

Best...

Warren...
DSCF1170.JPG

Back
Top Bottom