Metal detectors - Underwater, pros and cons of what you use

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

caribean-ted

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I like a few people on here are looking into using underwater metal detectors for treasure hunting.
For me, they should be able to fairly deep, and not just in my pocket. Reasonably priced, able to distinguish what you located, and best of all reliable and durable.

Whats the best of the best in price and productivity and durability.
Give us the pros and cons of what your using so we can be the judge of what our next purchase will be.

Ive read about garrett, minelabs and fisher. So far fisher seems to be the best but not cheap.

Lets here from the rest of you who have been doing this for a while.
Also what have you found whether beach or near a wreck somewhere.

You need to define the locations you want to hunt. What works at a lake beach may or may not work at the ocean. It can also depend on the specific beaches / town areas you want to hunt. Some beaches are very clean while others are loaded with trash.

We use the J.W Fishers 8X on our PSD team. This detector was chosen after we had the opportunity to work with the F.B.I. Dive Team because they use it. We figured if it's good enough for a team that could virtually afford any type made it must be good enough for teams on a budget. :D

Ive heard the fisher pulse is quite good, but doesnt it pick up everything? Heard it has a hard time distinguishing metals.
The excalliber 11 had issues, some were breaking down for no reason, just stopped working. Read several bad reviews, all about breaking down. However they said the detecting worked excellent.

Tell me your pros and cons on the fisher pulse 8x and the excalliber11.
I really cant afford the pulse, im looking for something as good but cheaper.

It must be good for salt water diving and beach, and fresh water diving and beach, able to distinguish a gold ring from an aluminum pop can, also gold, bronze, and most metals should be distinguishable or at least let you know what your looking at before you dig.
Durable, cant say enough about how im tired of buying crap I have to return because its a lemmon!!!
Too many companies are living off their name and making products that are below standard to save money.

The JW Fishers (not the same company as Fisher) are indeed pulse induction and have ZERO discrimination of targets. That means you will get every nail, bolt, hair clip and washer you swing over.

I think there were some problems with the initial change from the Excal to the Excal 2 model. A few years ago there were fair number that had a lot of problems, but those reports have gone down to a "normal" level since then. I think they went with some cheaper parts and since switched back (just a guess on my part).

There is the Tesoro (Either tiger shark or sand shark, I cant remember) that is a VLF water machine. I have heard from some people that love it on the ocean beaches, and some that hate it so I cant make a recommendation. It is a another choice for you.

Picked up the excalliber 11 1000, tried it out inside, it loves gold for sure, also depending on the setting coins and other metals, I was able to just pick up gold and coins and not the screw. The knobs are very stiff due to the fact they have a tight seal for water proofing. Just have to be careful adjusting them. Will try it outside at the local beach when I have a chance. So far theres a learning curve, like anything, I need time to get to know its functions and sounds better.

Idid not like my EXCALL 2 when i first bought it .There was a problem and I sent it back they sent a new machine to me .After 3 years I have gotten better with it and are starting to find stuff.(Istill want a JW JUST BECAUSE)

Ted, the best accessory you can get for the Excal is an aftermaket rod. There are lots of choices, but the rods by Plugger, and Anderson rods are considered the best. They change the balance point and put the weight under your arm instead of out in front. I can swing my excal all day without any fatigue.

Back
Top Bottom