Metal detectors - Underwater, pros and cons of what you use

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well I tried it out this morning at the beach, oshawa beach isnt a great location for sure. I loves pop can tabs, found a 1977 penny also. Thats about it. Your right, it does get heavy and the digging gets hard after a while. every few feet was picking up stuff. mostly pop can tabs.

I need a better beach!!!
As for getting used to it, it will take some time for sure.

What rod are you talking about? is it a weight to balance it or something?

Ted, the best accessory you can get for the Excal is an aftermaket rod. There are lots of choices, but the rods by Plugger, and Anderson rods are considered the best. They change the balance point and put the weight under your arm instead of out in front. I can swing my excal all day without any fatigue.

It's easier if you do a search for for them. It completely replaces the factory rod and repositions the control and battery placement.

I bought a belt to put them on. Also came with short shaft for dives, havent used them yet though. Been kinda busy lately. I know its heavy, but I think for me, im going to keep it together so the cable doesnt get tangled when im walking. At least on the shaft its less likely to catch on something or get stepped on.

I had a look at the 'J.W Fishers 8X' online, I would love to get one but $2000 is a little steep for a hobby, is there anything for around the $500-$700 mark that is worth while? Or is there someplace I could pick up a second hand or reconditioned J.W Fisher?

I had a look at the 'J.W Fishers 8X' online, I would love to get one but $2000 is a little steep for a hobby, is there anything for around the $500-$700 mark that is worth while? Or is there someplace I could pick up a second hand or reconditioned J.W Fisher?

c=Contact JW FISHER directly they mat know of one .

Minelabs is good also. there both top notch companies, but dont forget, you get what you paid for. Mind you, im sure some people have some cheap ones that were equally good and durable.

For $700, this metal detector is more in the hobby range.

Garrett Sea Hunter Mark II

Happy hunting!

It seems really interesting to doing metal detecting underwater. Hope I could have a try, but I can't dive. What a pity. Anyone who ever gone detecting underwater? Is there a good fortune?

Years ago I was doing commercial gasfield diving work in lake Erie. Mid-way thru the diving season the drillship I was working pulled into a port for a 24-hr. layover to load materials. I found a barstoool & prepared to enjoy my brief respite from the deeps when I got a tap on the shoulder. A fellow offered me 5 g's if I could locate his fiance's engagement ring in the local harbour. I called a buddy who lived in the town & had scuba gear; together we searched for 5 hours, unsuccessfully, even though we had laid out a precise grid pattern to search in ( 3 other divers had already searched the area, which didn't help our cause... ). My time being up & having to rejoin my ship, I left port wondering if the ring was ever located. A few months later I was back to that port & inquired locally about the ring. The fellow had hired a diver with a metal detector to search - this lad spent the better part of 48 hours searching and...found it! Nice little paycheck I'd say!

More years later & I'm vacationing on Vancouver Island, and we're swimming in a beautifully clear lake ( sorry, the name escapes me ). The resort we stayed at had a nice dock to swim from; nailed to a dock post was a plea from yet another bride-to-be, offering 25g's to anyone who could find HER ring in the waters just off the dock!

I wonder where that guy with the detector is...?!

Best,
DSD

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom