Metal Cam Buckles

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fred_f

Reaction score
Just got my new MC system and took it out for a test dive last night. Aboslutly loved it but I have one problem.

I have a clearcoat AL80. (I would rather have had a shot blast but I got a good deal on the clear coat because it was "on the floor".) As soon as I pulled down the cam straps I noticed the buckles apeared to be digging in. Sure enough when I removed the BC I now have 4 small scratches in the clearcoat on the tank from the 2 cam buckles.

What do others do about this? I suppose I could just throw a piece of webbing under th buckle, or should I just not worry about it? I would think that after repeated use this could get quite nasty.

So far the best suggestion is to put a piece of duct tape directly on the tank where the buckles connect.

And also to realize that scratched tanks mean they're well loved.

Boogie711 once bubbled...
numerous threads on this

I did do a search and found none, but perhaps I was using the wrong terms. Any suggestions?

So far the best suggestion is to put a piece of duct tape directly on the tank where the buckles connect.

And also to realize that scratched tanks mean they're well loved.

:) It's more of a concern that this will wind up happening repeatedly in the same spot, moving from a scratch to a gouge to....

I don't worry about mine...if you look at seasoned divers their tanks are pretty well initiated. I don't throw mine around and intentionally mistreat or abuse them, but I don't have netting and all that stuff on mine either.

I put a short (2 1/2 inch) piece of webbing under the cam strap and buckle and let the metal cam buckle rotate/rest against that. When not in use (off the tank) I tuck the webbing pieces between the strap and STA (so as not to lose them). Works well for me.

I wouldn't worry too much about it. Dings in a steel tank's finish are concerning because corosion will ruin the metal. If you rinse you tank well, corosion in the aluminum will be very minimal and of no consequence to the life of the tank.

John

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom