Mermet Springs 2009

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jefm

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Unless I missed one, the latest Mermet report was from last year, so here's a newer one for you, and a running log for 2009.

I did my open and drysuit dives there on the weekend. It was pretty cold with visibility of a few feet, maybe 44F across the board. Luckily my instructor had red fins, that was all I could look for to keep up :} The weather was a little dreary up until we were getting things packed up to go, then the sun came out and you could see how nice the place actually looks.

The facility was great, real easy for a newb diver to get set up and changed around. We did manage to go swim around the 727 a bit, there seemed to be an increase in visibility lower then 30 feet. I was so happy to see some bluegill on the second to last dive, didn't see any other fish before or after. But these ones just hung a few cm in front of my mask, staring, and were half asleep so you could touch'em. I'll keep that encounter that for a while.

I'm thinking about going back this weekend, anyone want to buddy up with a non-tec newb? The weather looks a little crappy, I'll have to watch it, it was raining a bit on us anyway but I still passed the tests. Oh yeah, this is my first dive report, hope I didn't write too little (or much)

Thanks for the report. Mermet really is a great place to get some local dives in. Glad to hear you are giving it another chance. The vis does get much better at times (I've seen 30' there before). There's a lot to see and if you are looking to see fish, you gotta see the sponbill. Can't make it there myself this weekend, but looking foward to getting back soon. Thanks again for the report.

No prob piffle, glad I could help.
I should've mentioned I logged just over two hours on five dives.
I'm certainly giving it another chance, I figure this early in the year it'll only get better. If I play my cards right I'll be getting a back inflate rig this week and a camera housing... a lot of gear to test and a lot of experience to rack up before a Mexico trip next month. Weather permitting, I would like to be at Mermet every weekend.
Sorry you can't make it piffle, if anyone else wants to play let me know, fair warning though I'm a pretty boring diver at this stage :}

Check out the website in my signature. It is a great place to get info on current midwest divesite conditions. But like I say they cannot be current unless you help....

I think that there is a group going down from one of the LDS here in st louis. Another good board for finding buddies is www.midwestdive.com

Phil

Check out the website in my signature. It is a great place to get info on current midwest divesite conditions. But like I say they cannot be current unless you help....

Hi Phil, I actually tried to log my dive on that site when I got back. Posted it, didn't look like it kept it. So I tried to post again, it said 'Duplicate Post'. I figured it was awaiting moderator approval, but I look now and it's not there.

The STL/LDS/Mermet thing sounds great, I'll have to look for that. There are a dozen 'Dive Buddy' sites out there, I'm trying to figure out which ones to keep up on. Thanks for the info!!

I personally just use this site, scubatoys forum, and the midwestdive forum. I am pretty sure it is Y-Kiki that is going down there this weekend. They have a class but I know that there will be some fun dives as well. I have to work on Sat so I will not be there. I do more diving out at The Dive Stop since I work so many weekends, it is easier to go out there for the day...

Phil

Hi Phil, I actually tried to log my dive on that site when I got back. Posted it, didn't look like it kept it. So I tried to post again, it said 'Duplicate Post'. I figured it was awaiting moderator approval, but I look now and it's not there.

Hey Jefm,

No approval is required. Try posting again, it should work.

Take care,
Steve

I'm back up at Mermet this weekend in case someone needs a buddy! :} Hope to have my computer by then.

I wish I could make Mermet this weekend. I think we're loading up the rv and boat and heading to Norfork Lake next Thursday night and diving Henderson bridge Good Friday.

Had a couple great dives on Saturday 4-4-09, well, ~2m vis and cold, but still fun stuff. Company included two Steves, two Terrys and a Stan. Managed to dive again later with no other then the founder of The Great American Diving Co, we had some fun wall diving and underwater nav (never done either before). Mermet is really on the spot if you need to rent a part or get the battery in your computer replaced. I wussed out for diving on Sunday, weather did not sound good. A lot of work and driving for three dives but I had a good time. Not sure when I'll get out there again, but it won't be soon enough! :}

Back
Top Bottom