Mermet Dog days

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GoBlue!

Contributor
Reaction score
Hey all-

thinking of trying out a dry suit for the first time at Mermet, end of October, during DUI's DOG days. Can anyone tell us what to expect, water-wise (temps, etc.) & what we should have with us vs. what DUI supplies?

thanks,
jim

I went to DUI Demo Days for the first time at Beaver this Spring, they supply everything you need suit wise, dry suit, gloves, boots, hood, thermals, you need to bring everything else. They will fit your first stage with another hose to accomodate the dry suit. Take plenty of weights with you, I think I ended up needing about 32 lbs. I would get there early, I got to Beaver around 11:00 or so and had to wait quite a long time to finally get into the water, but then they were short on staff there also. I found it to be quite a bit of work but I'm really glad I tried it, it was an experience I would recommend for everyone!

Enjoy,
Mike

Didn't think they'd supply thermals... cool. I'm a bit concerned that whatever boots they supply would not fit my fins (I wear Large Jets w/ neoprene boots). This a common problem?

And what do you mean they fit the first stage w/ another hose? (We use bp/w setup, 7' primary, bungee backup....seems like none of that would need to be changed.....)

Thanks,
Jim

GoBlue!:
And what do you mean they fit the first stage w/ another hose? (We use bp/w setup, 7' primary, bungee backup....seems like none of that would need to be changed.....)

Thanks,
Jim
Inflator hose for the dry suit.

Of course.....Duh.... Feelin' like an idiot.... :wink:

Jim

GoBlue!:
Didn't think they'd supply thermals... cool. I'm a bit concerned that whatever boots they supply would not fit my fins (I wear Large Jets w/ neoprene boots). This a common problem?

I have two sets of fins XL for my drysuit rock boots and medium for my dive boots.

GoBlue!:

Thanks,
Jim

I wouldn't think the boots would be a problem, at least they weren't for me or for anyone else there that I know of.

I don't know how much you know about dry suits so bear with me, the dry suit requires an auxilary air supply hose from your first stage and unless your first stage is already fitted with it (which is unlikely), they will have to put one on for you as long as you have an available port. There is no charge for doing this and they will remove it when you check your equipment back in after the dives.

Mike

I am going to the DUI days which are Oct 23 at Mermet I believe
I am a woman so will they have anything for me.
Also I have not had Drysuit training what should I do between now and then to get ready?

Yes, they "should" have something for everyone, it may not be a "perfect" fit but it will get the job done.

As for training/preparation, an instructor will accompany each group of divers going out, he will also supply you with a briefing and the information you need before letting you dive. However, gaining advance knowledge from someone who has experience in dry suit diving can't hurt if you have access to it. I had never been diving in a dry suit before I went and had no prior knowledge of it, but with their briefing and instructions everything went fine.

Mike

Back
Top Bottom