Merino lining - what's the story?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lorenzoid

ScubaBoard Supporter
Staff member
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I've seen Merino-lined vests, for example. What are the advantages and disadvantages of Merino lining?

I have a merino lined 3mm full suit. It's warmer than my "other" 3mm. In fact, my 3mm Pinnacle is about as warm as my 5mm Aqualock. Not quite, but close.

It's easier to put on when wet.

It doesn't smell funky after a few days of diving.

That's my experience.

Edit: awap is right, it takes much longer to dry. A suit or article with the merino lining is also much heavier, wet or dry.

Last edited:
It does seem warmer but it takes a loooong time to dry.

The comfort comes form the swelling which inhibits water movement and the exothermic reaction that introduces some heat. More here.

Merino socks are great in dry suits and for other winter activities.

Pete

The comfort comes form the swelling which inhibits water movement and the exothermic reaction that introduces some heat. More here.

Does the swelling of the lining cause the whole suit to swell, or are we talking sort of a micro-scale effect? I'm most interested in a hooded vest to wear underneath a 5 mm full suit. The story is that I tried a Lavacore vest for this purpose and do not find it adds quite enough warmth, so I am now considering a 3 mm neoprene vest. The mention of a swelling effect makes me wonder whether it wouldn't be so good for layering underneath another suit--I want as thin a vest as I can get away with. The Lavacore is comfortable, but the reality is that it's just barely as warm as 2mm of neoprene and definitely not as warm as 3mm of neoprene.

I have used merino lined wetsuits since they were introduced .

They are warmer than nylon lined suits no doubt . Comfortable to don and doff as well as in water .

I liked merino so much I bought the merino lined drysuit for home diving . It is no warmer than standard 5mm drysuit . In fact it is just a little warmer than my 3mm warm water drysuit ( 45 degrees plus ) I bought the merino black ice suit for extreme 45 degrees and colder dives . It will be for sale as soon as my new drysuit comes back from wrist seal installation .

It works for wetsuits and is probably worth the extra charge .

Wow guys, I always assumed this was a gimmick. When the local Gander Mtn shut down their dive section, they were giving those Pinnacle suits away. Damn.

Back
Top Bottom