Mercury inflatable question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

spooky1

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Has anyone owned/used one of the newer Mercury HD hypalon boats? I'm not refering to the Quicksiver line that Mercury used to distribute, but the newer red Hypalon 14' with the Aluminum floor.

Im currently in the market for another inflatable and wondering how they compare to others such as the Achilles. I can get a much better deal on the Merc @ 14' than an Achilles and the specs are pretty comparable, but I was curious to see if anyone had any experience with them and thoughts on durability/construction. Boat will be used for diving/exploring lakes and rivers.
Any thoughts or recommendations would be much appreciated.

454979_l.jpg

It looks like an Achilles brand boat to me. N

I thought so myself at first . After checking them out more closely on Defender's
website, I don't think it is. Comparing it with their Achilles the specs are rather different.Also, the way the endcones taper is something I don't remember seeing before.
I left a message with one of their reps to get some more info and haven't heard back yet.

I recently purchased a Mercury Marine Hypalon. I posted a picture. From all appearances it looks to be a decently made inflatable. It's certainly heavy enough. I'll have it on the water late June so can't provide any objective information on how it handles. I doubt it will be that different from other models like Zodiac etc.

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/in.../332973-what-size-outboard-you-running-3.html

X

I recently purchased a Mercury Marine Hypalon. I posted a picture. From all appearances it looks to be a decently made inflatable. It's certainly heavy enough. I'll have it on the water late June so can't provide any objective information on how it handles. I doubt it will be that different from other models like Zodiac etc.

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/in.../332973-what-size-outboard-you-running-3.html

X
Cool! Makes me feel a little better since neither I or anyone I know have used one or can recall seeing one in person . Did you end up going with the 15 HP?

The only downside I can really see with this boat is the 15" transom with a 30H.P. max. A 2 stroke 30 short shaft seems to be a rare animal.

Cool! Makes me feel a little better since neither I or anyone I know have used one or can recall seeing one in person . Did you end up going with the 15 HP?

The only downside I can really see with this boat is the 15" transom with a 30H.P. max. A 2 stroke 30 short shaft seems to be a rare animal.

I am still waiting on getting a motor....as I haven't assembled the CE Smith trailer I got for this inflatable. The max is weight for the transom is 121 lbs. I want to keep it under that by a lot. The Hypalon fabric is pretty tough, and the workmanship seems quality and Mercury does give Hypalon boats a comprehensive warranty of 10 years. I wouldn't doubt that this manufacturer produces other inflatables for other well known brands.

Cheers,

X

What was the price range on that boat, what keel system does it have?

N

Mercury Inflatables
Wasn't sure which boat you were asking about , but they can be found here with pricing.
The photo I posted is the aluminum floor HD and I think Mr.X has the 11' air floor hypalon.

Last edited:
Mercury Inflatables
Wasn't sure which boat you were asking about , but they can be found here with pricing.
The photo I posted is the aluminum floor HD and I think Mr.X has the 11' air floor hypalon.

Yes. My model is air floor* and my wife wants it out of the living room! I think it's a nice conversation piece.

X

* got tired of struggling with aluminum slats. They can make you crazy. :( That being said - if you intend to leave it inflated for a while they are sure nice for tanks and such.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom