Mercury in our Tuna sashimi?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chip104:
Thanks Charlie. To science!

edit: ^^^^ I promised myself I wouldn't be mean to you today mike. so I'll just smile ----> :)
Aww cmon chip! give it to me baby!

Charlie99:
Bioconcentration. What happens is that there is some mercury in the water and show up in low concentrations in algae or other plantlife. Little stuff eats the plantlife and their bodies end up capturing some of the mercury. Bigger fish eat the little ones, and end up concentrating the mercury some more. Big tuna eat those bigger fish and concentrate the mercury even more.

ah big fish eat little fish....

I read this somewhere else in the last day or so and someone said that the mercury levels today in tuna are no higher than they were 20 years ago (according to data taken then and now). And, that the mercury in tuna may not be from man made pollutants. It is in seawater and as Charlie99 stated, it does bioaccumulate. ?
And the other thing is, did they ever test tuna with little or no mercury? It's like, "when did they find mercury in tuna"?.....when they started looking for it.

Well, mercury, and other heavy metals of concern for that matter, came with the package we call Earth :)

We just managed to find ways, intentionally or otherwise, of unleashing them.....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom