Mentoring system

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ericfine50

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hey guys,

Just a thought. What do people think about a mentoring type system for technical dive training? Like hooking up with a core group of guys and training with them. Not necessarly getting an offical card, but learning the right way to dive.

Just a thought. Work is slow :)

Eric

Fine idea. Years ago, prior to *established training* that was
how much was learned.

The only *weakness* with it is that sooner or later you'll
want to accompany your mentor on a deep/dark/demanding
dive and without a cert either he (or she) or a dive boat
skipper might tell you "not without a cert".

Add to that the fact that without the cert you'll be *forced* to
either home brew or pirate all those "exotic gases".

True. But, you may get better training and less BS.

Eric

I like the mentor idea, but with a little different twist.

I would like for my mentor to be the advanced instructor that I have sought long and hard to find. This way I am assured that I *am* getting the right information (and he's makes sure that I am *getting* the info) and as time and dollars allow, I can complete the various certifications. We can still dive together for fun, and I know that after the fun dive, if I had any training related questions that came up during the dive, we can cover that during a debreifing.

Additionally, all liability issues regarding instruction are covered.

Fortunately for me, I have gained two such persons. Both are two of the instructors of my DM course and I have developed a good friendship with them. And I'm looking forward to learning lots from them both.

That would be a prefect situation. I am thinking about the people that cannot find that type of diver.

Eric

dementoring program with Mike, though he probably doesn't know it yet. As some of you may have noticed, his jokes are a tad more ribald, if not lamer and he sees things from a more skewed perspective. A mind is a wonderful thing to trash! :tease: Given enough time, I am sure TM will be just as demented as myself...

I am thinking about the people that cannot find that type of diver
Ahhh. But if one looks long and hard enough, and learns to ask good questions, you can usually find the right person/instructor.

I fell into a coupla those exact situations.My 1st buddy was a once a week commercial spearfisherman who dove homebrewed nitrox in the early eighties.They dove mainly 120' to 150' the 1st dive or 2 then in to 85-100'.#-5 dives a day(long day)They taught me solo and basics.My current buddy is IANTD mix instructor ,has dove AD and the Monitor,lots of cave and cenotes and has a mix station in his garage.I expect Fla to continue to crack down on certifications so I'm considering Full Cave just to be able to go on occasional forays into Gainesville/High Springs area.I chose to hang with people who dive a lot.If you're going to do this as a major hobby/way of life why not surround yourself with folks you can learn from?I was "mentored" and expected to be well read and knowledgeable long before I was allowed on difficult dives .The cert cards came later.Not that I advocate diving beyond ones training ,but diving in your own comfort level sometimes means exceeding your cert level and sometimes rarely reaching it.I am currently "mentoring" several friends into more DIR compliant configurations.In my area are a lot of very talented and accomplished divers.I make point of putting my hand out.I've met a lot of people and learned a lot.

Eric,

I think that's a great idea. In many ways, it seems to me like you end up learning more from informal relationships/dive buddies like this than from formal classes. You're able to dive without the structure of a class, ask questions, watch and learn.

I've met a few people like this here in greater Boston -- their advice and help in answering all of my stupid questions has been invaluable. I was even able to spend some pool with one of these guys last spring trying out DIR gear and skills -- very fun and a great learning experience. It certainly whet my appetite for more formal DIR and GUE training....and having had these informal relationships, when and if I end up in a GUE course, I'll be that much more informed.

-LD

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom