Memory kick 320gb

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I should also clear this up. I offerred to provide an unbiased and unprofessional review of the memory kick unit. This thread is not to sell anything and I am only trying to share information and opinion. I get nothing out of this so I am completely unbiased.

good luck with your testing Steve!

I do have to say I won't envy the manufacture if it fails you :)

Steve, I had the chance to meet Anthony and see demonstrations of the Memory Kick while at DEMA last week. Seems like a great product, and your trip is exactly the type of application it was designed for. So, have a great time in Thailand, take lots of pictures, and looking forward to you sharing them with us upon your return.

Travel safe, my friend!

The specs on this device look pretty impressive. Excellent form factor/weight. Fast transfer speeds. Ability to do incremental backups. The MemoryKick website FAQ indicates that the unit has USB-OTG capability. This means that you can copy from flash card to thumb drive, thumb drive to thumb drive, etc. This is wonderful for making multiple copies of your photos...particularly while traveling. The only disadvantage I see is that the hard drive is not user-replaceable. The manufacturer warns that swapping the drive will void the warranty.

I'm looking forward to reading ScubaSteve's review. Please include some info on battery life, approximate transfer speeds, the quality of the screen, and how easy it is to connect to a larger screen (LCD monitor or TV).

Have fun on your trip!

:lurk:

I went this route awhile ago and went back to a small laptop. While traveling I do try to gut/edit shots so I don't get home with +2000 pics. I just found the screen on these devices too small. How many times have you pulled up a photo on your home computer and found some creature, aspect, that makes the shot special you did not even see in the viewfinder???

I like the idea of them as a back-up but for me I want to edit as I go along.

So Steve - now that you are back from Thailand, I am assuming you will follow up on this thread with your "real world" experiences. The initial write-up was great and I eagerly anticipate a great write-up on the experience with it.

Of course, get more pictures posted first! :joke:

Sorry. Yes I am back but am still trying to catch up and re-adjust to local living :shakehead:.

I came back from Thailand with the ability to recommend this product for anybody with similar needs and wants as mine. I definitely understand people's notes about laptops and sorting as you go. I did not want to commit myself to that (and never will while on vacation) which is why I wanted a unit like this. Heck, I rarely delete photos even if they do not make the "good pile". But I do still go back to all photos periodically and enjoy looking at them.

After the pro's and con's, I will exlpain an issue that I had that was professionally and very quickly resolved.

Pro's (IMO)
- compact and light and thus easily carried with me at all times
- Great viewer (includes RAW format)
- It was easy to share photos and videos with people without getting the camera out
- Quick back-up (I tried to time it a couple of times but got distracted) - no slower or quicker than my laptop IMO.
- Copy from Memory Kick to Computer was easy as it simply appeared as an external hard drive to copy to/from once connected.
- The ability to zoom in on photos
- Sound
- The fact that this can also be used for a mass storage device and external hard drive for files even if you cannot open them on it
- Automatic handheld orientation correction (if you spin the unit while viewing a picture it rotates the picture accordingly.

Con's (IMO)
- The display is not real time. During a back-up I got a warning that the battery was almost dead yet it showed half full. Once I completed the back up, restarted the unit, it showed an almost dead battery.
- The "Estimated Time Remaining" was often inaccurate. I have this problem with my laptop as well though so this is not unique to this unit.
- I was unable to find a different display type to display more thumbnails on the screen (this may be available but I never found it (did not try that hard either). This would have been very nice in the folders with lots of pictures.

The first unit that I got was a "Version 1" which sadly fell into the small percentage that had a software issue that caused the unit to hang and freeze during use. Allowing the battery to drain and then recharging it would allow use of the unit for a period of time again. The fix had already been found and just needed to be applied but I went to Thailand with no computer so that was not an option. Anthony and his counterparts in Korea were GREAT in getting me set-up again. The second unit that I got worked very well and I was always able to back-up the files and got them onto my computer. It worked exactly as I had imagined for the most part.

The items which I list in the CONS area above are IMO nothing more than areas for future improvement. These would definitely not stop me from purchasing this unit. Hopefully these will be taken into account for future updates.

I am not sure how big a deal this would be to change but installing a PDF viewer on the unit would be very handy. The manual is included on the unit as a PDF which you can access via connection to a computer. The ability to read that manual on the unit would have been great. Some of the issues I had may not have been issues had I been able to read the manual. Just a thought for future improvements.

Sorry if this is not a well thought out post as I am somehow still suffering from jetlag (actually I think it an allergy to being back at work :wink:). Please feel free to ask any questions and I will reply honestly.

Thanks

Thanks Steve - work allergies are tough. I recommend three weeks in an exotic local.... oh wait... you just got back. :rofl4:

I also have been very happy with my Memory Kick. It's easy and very portable. Just the other day, a friend of mine was shooting photos. I threw her photo card into my memory kick, and voila I have the pictures. The ability to show friends pictures on a decent sized screen is a huge plus if you ask me. I've also done a firmware update, which was very simple.

I also like having some backup folders from my computer on it, like some PDF's and other docs. With the USB Host port. I just hook up someone else's thumb drive, and bang. copy files over. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom