Memorial Weekend

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chucksaul:
WTexBlaze and CenTex... We will be making our maiden voyage to Windy Park Saturday thru Monday (?) God willing and who cares if the river rises. Would love to meet up with you. We have been diving for a couple of months and have 10 dives under our belts. Am going to COZ in July and we really want to hit 60-90 ft Saturday afternoon... Would love your advise and to tag along with ya'll... We are coming from Tyler and hope to be there before 1 p.m. I am Charlie and Donna and we will be in a White Trailblazer and have shiny new tanks... Look forward to seeing you...

Okay... call me overcautious or Mama Foo, or whatever you want, but- you'll have an easier time doing your maiden dives to 60-90 ft in Cozumel than anywhere in Lake Travis. Instead, I would suggest you go drift dive in the Comal or San Marcos rivers, and work on perfecting bouyancy skills in the time you have between now and July. I don't mean that you shouldn't go to Travis- go, by all means and meet up with Blaze & Cen Tex, have a blast! But, IMO you don't want go deep just for the sake of going deep, at this point in your training. There's plenty of time for those type dives- you will have a very pleasant time at those depths in crystal clear, warm water. Forgive me, I'm the cautious type. :wink:

Anyone who doesnt heed the advice of those more knowlegdable is a Foo... OK enough puns... I really do appreciate the advice. Tween you and me I want to see how my dive buddy handles the depths and the conditions and I guess to a point how I do too... I know the conditions will be much different but while some of my business contacts would say I have sunk at least this low, I want to make sure in my mind all is well with me since I am the DM of our twosome. WEather permitting we want to do at least five dives in two days with one being a night dive. Only our first will be the deep one with Nitrox just for all the experiences... Hope we get them all in... Thanks again and hate you arent coming to Tyler for Trashfest... Charlie

Charlie, I've seen you on Divelocal, right? I'm known as "Mimi" over there. Welcome to Scubaboard!

Okay, you're the only one who knows your limits. I'm going to assume that you were certified by Steve? Me too, so I know you received excellent training, and probably did your exit dives in low-vis conditions. Just remember that you don't have anything to prove to anyone and take care of yourself and your buddy. There is eons of difference between a cold, dark deep dive into trees, and a tropical dive to the same depth. Are you saying that these dives will prepare you for Coz? If so, I believe that you're better off letting Coz prepare you for Travis to 90', is all I'm really trying to say. :wink:

Remember, I am a mother hen, I know it, I accept it, so you must also. :) I now return you to the original topic, Memorial Day weekend. Us, we're staying home- working around the house which is looooong overdue. So all of you diving, be safe and have a blast!

Foo ain't no foo'. (at least in this instance :D ) Excellent advice that you would do well to heed.

Foo and ZZZ... Thank you for the words of wisdom... Windy Point was terrific... We got to 65' before we ever knew it... The conditions were wonderful... The water was very nice in a hood and gloves with a 3mm wetsuit and it was very bearable in just the wetsuit... Temps never got below 65 where we were... Learned several very valuable lessons... First is that my ears do not respond well to fast decents... Slow Slower Slowest... Second is I have been way too heavy... The deeper, open areas allowed me to really see how my bouyancy was and when I shed four pounds I could hover without problems. The best is my buddy cut our rope and we swam untethered which decreased my anxiety so much so that I doubled the amount of time I could stay down...

Windy Point was terrific and I am sure we will be back many many times... I look forward to seeing each of you and feeding the fish together...

And Foo... no one told me Steve's office was on platform 3... Hopefully my pics will come out...

Charlie

wtxblaze:
Well it looks like I'll get the whole weekend off. So where is everyone going to be, so I can get a divebuddy?

chek out our club: www.shoekrewe.net . We have many events throughout the year. The next one is Lake Travis (Austin) on Sept. 9.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom