Memorial week diving in the Keys

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BILLB

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Dear Wreck Valley Divers,

My wife (CindyB) and I needed a short vacation to recharge our batteries. One of the easiest ways to do this was a trip to the Florida Keys. Key Largo in particular. If you like wrecks and warm water this is the place.

The major chain motel/hotel rates at this time of year are for deep pockets only. We checked out and finally choose to stay at the Amoray (Amy Slate) dive resort (MM 103). There is a room and a price for any budget. The resort rooms were neat and cleaned daily. All rooms have air conditioning and many with an ocean (gulf) view. Lots of hot water for showers and a gear locker to store your wet/rinsed gear. They have a catamaran that frequents mostly the local reefs.

We basically used the Amoray resort as a place to sleep. We accomplished all our diving with Divers City (MM 90.5). This dive shop is own and operated by a former Pittsburgh diver, Barbara Froelich. For your reference, check out the WEB site:

www.diverscityusa.com

Divers City has everything that an experienced diver would need. Nitrox, fast boat and no crowds (or snorklers). You simply show up and set up your tanks (steel or AL are available) and either Barbara or Kip Hoover (the captain of the dive boat) will lug them and all your dive gear you could possibly bring with you to the boat moored at the rear of her shop. The shop also has excellent gear for rent including doubles and serves up tri-mix for those who present poof of training. Divers City also allows experienced divers to dive your profile. They also allow you to do Jersey style diving by doing repetitive dives on the same or other wrecks (compared to most other shops who dump divers on the shallow reefs for a second dive).

Dive day one took us to the wreck of the Duane. This is an artificial reef wreck of a USA Coast Guard cutter. It is a mature wreck and is one of the best warm water wrecks on the east coast. She lies upright in 120 feet of water about ten miles offshore (a very short ride with Divers City boat cruising at 22 MPH).

Now, for the fun and challenging part. The wreck lies near the Gulf Stream and currents are a fact of life. There was about a two plus knot flow, so Kip had us hot dropped on the mooring buoy. If you missed the line he would eventually pick you up again for a second shot.

We had four divers that day and two of us hit the line. CindyB and I were buddied up with the proverbial third buddy (the other diver was a solo diver with a very large camera. The cameraman and I made it to the line but CindyB and the other diver just missed. They were very lucky in that the viz was excellent and the current was flowing from bow to stern (we were dropped on the bow buoy). They both did a free descent and eventually we all enjoyed the dive of a lifetime.

Our second dive was a drift dive on Crocker’s Reef. It was not Cozumel but we saw plenty of underwater life including a large southern ray. We were also going to do a Night dive on the Duane but called it because of the current.

The next day of diving took us to the Spiegel Grove. It was Memorial Day and for the first time ever in my experiences, there were several unused mooring lines available. As usual, the current was strong. Kip backed the boat up to the mooring buoy and we entered by grabbing the stern mooring line. This would be a drift dive and Kip would pick us up on the bow!

To make another dive story short, we did two drift dives on the S.G. We were able to see the entire length of the ship twice. The pick up on the bow involved floating free from the mooring buoy and Kip did a rolling recovery very nicely. Needless to say, my confidence diving in harsh currents soared. That night we did a Night dive on the Duane. This is was my second Night dive on this ship and it never fails to excite me. The currents had not changed, but with the experiences gained, this was standard procedures for me and CindyB.

The next dive day was supposed to take us to the Bibb. This is the sister cutter of the Duane and lies on its side in 130 feet of water. Again, the currents were raging and the bow buoy was missing. We could have shot up a lift bag on the bow but, that would violate sound safety procedures. Instead, we did the Duane again. The current was probably a bit faster but the dive went off with everyone making the drop and hitting the line. As usual, Kip did a rolling pick up off the bow buoy. Our second was a deep (80 to 90 foot) drift dive in which was probably, the first time many of the sea creatures saw divers. The current this time was approaching Cozumel speed.

Our last day of diving was on what is in my opinion, the best wreck in the Keys. The Eagle lies on her side in 110 feet of water and broken in half. This wreck has it all. The Eagle has abundant sea life plus the look and feel of a real wreck (although it too was sunk as an artificial reef in 1985). This time only a slight surface current prevailed. It was almost too easy.

And, did I mention that Kip also changed the tanks for us after very dive? And, that Divers City has storage for your gear and fresh water rinse tanks? Camera and mask buckets on board the boat (Diversity) were also standard equipment. I will not mention the exact cost per dive but I will say that I would be willing to pay more for the type of service and professionalism rendered.

It was very hard to say good bye to Key Largo.

I went to KL in April to do my AOW. It was a great experience, especially doing the deep dive part of the course on the Spiegel. I definitely plan to go back to Largo some day.

informative post bill, thanks!!

I have dove on the Duane and Eagle several times before starting back in 1999. This was the first time that currents of this magnitude existed on my vacation! The direction of the currents were not south to north if my compass headings during the drift dive were correct. One day we were drifting due west and on other days it was more to the southwest. This leads me to think that the full moon and the tides had a lot to do with the currents. I have heard of minimal current dives on the S.G. but I have never encountered this on the four dives I have logged over the past two years.

The Eagle did have a surface current but was quite managable at depth. I have probably 10 dives on this wreck and this was the first time I encountered any significant current on it.

I realize that many recreational divers may shy away from these wonderful dives if there is any current at all. The fact is most dive centers will not even drop divers if currents exist similar to my original post. Most dive centers will opt for a drift dive.

I will be diving in the Lower Keys in July and in particular the Thunderbolt and Busch wrecks. One dive operation I know, allows us to dive our profile on the Busch (Captain Jim Wyatt) and I am still searching for an operation that will allow us repetitive dives on the Thunderbolt.

Back
Top Bottom