Memorial Day in Beufort, SC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rgee9

Reaction score
Hello,

My wife and I are looking at doing some camping/diving in the Beufort, SC area over Memorial weekend. She is an OW diver but is a little intimidated in low viz conditions. Are there any sites/charters with moderate to descent viz (40+feet) that we could dive. If so who is the recommended dive shop and charters in the area.

We are looking at camping in Hunting Island. Any comments on the facilities there.

We may be a little late for the Memorial weekend timing, but if we can't get there that weekend we will definitely head to Beufort sometime in the near future.

Thanks for the help
Rob Gee

I haven't been out to Hunting Island in almost a year. The camp ground is/was great. Sites for tents and campers, primative and non-primative. Sites on the beach go fast and are hard to get but you may be able to reserve the other spots. It does fill up quickly though. It has always been a nice clean park. They have full facilities too. I am sorry to say that in shore diving is going to be minimal vis. Currently, we do not have dive charters to go to the open water sites. Fortunately, we have some boats that we are gathering to go diving. Maybe we can set something up for that weekend to get to open water. Everyone chips in on gas and cleanup and we go dive. We do have a local dive shop but they do not have a charter. So it really depends on your needs as to if you would even go there. The closest charter is approximately 1 1/2 hours drive north or south. I would suggest Capt Terry (charter only) in GA or Tom and Sally with Charleston Scuba (dive shop and charters). Do not hesitate to contact me if I can help you in any way or if you would like to get together and dive. R

RavenC:
I haven't been out to Hunting Island in almost a year. The camp ground is/was great. Sites for tents and campers, primative and non-primative. Sites on the beach go fast and are hard to get but you may be able to reserve the other spots. It does fill up quickly though. It has always been a nice clean park. They have full facilities too. I am sorry to say that in shore diving is going to be minimal vis. Currently, we do not have dive charters to go to the open water sites. Fortunately, we have some boats that we are gathering to go diving. Maybe we can set something up for that weekend to get to open water. Everyone chips in on gas and cleanup and we go dive. We do have a local dive shop but they do not have a charter. So it really depends on your needs as to if you would even go there. The closest charter is approximately 1 1/2 hours drive north or south. I would suggest Capt Terry (charter only) in GA or Tom and Sally with Charleston Scuba (dive shop and charters). Do not hesitate to contact me if I can help you in any way or if you would like to get together and dive. R
Don and I are going to be in town that week also and definitely hoping to dive

Maybe we should set something up???? :D R

RavenC:
Maybe we should set something up???? :D R
That would be great! I had communicated with SeaJay some time ago and he had suggested diving the Beaufort 45 since it is not too deep! ( By the way, where IS SeaJay?) We are still pretty limited where depth is concerned! 30-60 feet. We are arriving Friday, May 21st and leaving early am on Memorial Day. So we really have 2 weekends to work with this time!Hope that we can get some diving in since we are lugging all the gear down from Michigan!
Looking forward to hopefully seeing everyone!We are counting the days!

Well I was hoping we would make it memorial weekend, but the campsites at hunting island are full. Based on that we are going to postpone our trip to Beufort over Memorial weekend, but we will definitely try to visit there early this summer. If there are dives you all set up in Beufort could you please keep us in mind.

Thanks,
Rob Gee

Back
Top Bottom