Memorial Day at Aurora

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Daxter

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Sean, his wife and myself went to Aurora Monday. The lake is full, temp I got was 52 degrees, vis about 8 -10 feet. The bouy for the plane is gone, the pin rusted through so when they get a new pin someone can hook it back up.

Now for the entertainment, many of you know that there is a "pilot" in wetsuit in the plane. Not anymore!!

Our surface interval was extended do to a rescue at the lake? :confused: Thats right rangers(3), police(3), ambulance, and west metro search and rescue. One of the divers out there entered the plane on his side to clear his twin tanks and his deco side mounted tank and must have come face to skull with the "pilot". He then freaked out and went to shore and made his calls.

Everyone was called out of the water to wait for the recovery. Took us a few minutes to put 2 and 2 together. Then we figuired what he had seen, to late, the calls had been made. Best part was when West Metro asked what we knew, the smiles were on their faces as well and after the rescue they even kept the skull. :D

I guess I can finaly say I have seen the "pilot", as every time I went to the plane I forgot to look up and in it, but I only have seen him on shore, in a pile. :lotsalove: For such a cold and crappy day the entertaiment value was well worth it. It is worth mentioning the rangers, police and west metro were very nice to us. I felt a little bad for the diver that called it in, after we asked if it was the "pilot" that he had seen, but I'm sure even he can laugh about it now. :rofl3:

Last edited by a moderator:
Onr more thing, one of the west metro divers left an h type bouy out to mark the plane for us it is about 20 feet to the east of it give or take a few feet. We can use that until someone hooks the bouy back up. Like I said the guys from west metro were great!!

A little surprised that someone can't tell that a smiling skeleton perfectly situated in a known wreck is part of it. Was the guy drinking? I hope someone decides to put in a replacement as that was my favorite part of the wreck.

A little surprised that someone can't tell that a smiling skeleton perfectly situated in a known wreck is part of it. Was the guy drinking? I hope someone decides to put in a replacement as that was my favorite part of the wreck.

In the defense of the diver that reported it, the algae growth on the skeleton did make it look very real. On the other hand, being strapped to the ceiling of the plane is kind of a give away that it's fake. All it takes is a second look to verify what it is. He did admit that the panic was full on. Still, just taking a moment to calm down then examine the situation should be everyone's response. I'll admit it scared the hell out of me the first time I saw it. But I took a second look to make sure it was fake.

Sean

The first time I saw the pilot, I thought ... Cool... Then my second thought was, "that won't last long, someone is going to think it is real". It took a lot longer then I expected for that to happen.

I need to get out there! Sounds like searching for the plane could be just as much fun as anything else.
Anyone have a bearing and reference for it? I generally know where it is, but with low vis, ya know?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom