Memorable Unique tips you picked up only on Scubaboard!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

catherine96821, I learned during a trip to Molokini in 2005 that when the fish head into the reef, it means there is a Great White shark nearby!!!

hey! you are THE guy who took that shot of the GW are you??!!!

if so, I want your autograph. I would wet my wetsuit.

Portable shower!! Brilliant. Oh my gosh....one more item for me to bring on the boat, they are gonna hate me. That is a great idea.

Maybe not unique to this forum but seemingly all scuba boards. [sarcasm]I've learned LDS are EVIL. Don't trust them, they rip everyone off, and they are crooks.[end sarcasm]

catherine96821:
hey! you are THE guy who took that shot of the GW are you??!!!

if so, I want your autograph. I would wet my wetsuit.

Portable shower!! Brilliant. Oh my gosh....one more item for me to bring on the boat, they are gonna hate me. That is a great idea.

Leave the portable shower in the car and rinse gear when ya get back.

That people really can and do get hurt while diving (I think I was a bit naive on this subject) and that lessons can be learned (been reading in the lessons learned board) when people post up what happened to them and why/how it happend - at least carry a zip tie, EMT sheers, sausage, and a mirror with you while diving. That baby shampoo will keep your mask nice and fog free. (just read that one in this thread).

Also there is more stuff to learn that I don't even realize I don't know. I want to learn what I don't know, ya know?

it's for bugs, anyways... :D

pir8:
Leave the portable shower in the car and rinse gear when ya get back.
:lol:

We just save the gallon milk jugs with screw caps. Clean them good and fill with fresh water. There's always several in the back of the pickup, (Curacao, Texas thing), and the water is nice and warm for rinsing off when we're at those sites sans showers or rinse tanks.

tony

Can't find the original post, but someone suggested ascending with the inflator exhaust open, and letting the BC vent as it needs to by holding the hose in the right position.

I tried it, and it's amazingly cool, like having cruise-control for your ascent! Want to go a little slower?

Although I can't attribute it to anybody in particular, when I forst started diving, I read here that I need to have enough gas to get me and my buddy to the surface in case of a failure. Although I always kept extra air, I had never thought about it that way before, and it has made me more conservative in choosing a turn-point.

Terry

catherine96821:
Some wise diver suggested I could anticipate powerful downdrafts when diving along walls by watching the marine life ahead. Fern direction, fish, etc. ...Love stuff like that! :yelclap:

does anything stand out in your mind, that has been a practical smart tip not found in a book or a class?

Uncle Pug taught me how to be zen with my buoyancy by watching the tiny bits of things in the water to judge if I was going up or down and how fast. He also said my ears knew everything before I did. He was right on both counts.

Rachel

I learned that wearing your mask on your forehead could be perceived as a sign of distress.

(but I still do it :laughing:)

I don't know much at all yet, but I'd like to suggest this become a sticky.

Can't find the original post, but someone suggested ascending with the inflator exhaust open, and letting the BC vent as it needs to by holding the hose in the right position.

hmmm, so if you are horizontal, I wonder if holding the rear dump open would be nifty?

I will have to try that. Yea, Pug has some good ones. The "120 rule" does it for me too. 120-depth=time, just for a rough rule of thumb when you are task loaded and want to ball park your computer, etc.

Stuffing your mask in a bootie is a practical idea for protecting against impact too.

He also said my ears knew everything before I did.
that's funny Rachel, I tell people I am "the first street after your ears pop"! :D Then they always laugh and say "it worked!".

Back
Top Bottom