Member's Photo Gallery

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yeah, I love your 3rd image, the one with the fen or sedge or whatever its called.

Been meaning to post in this thread but have just always been too lazy. Just got together a few recent pictures now, so here goes.

Late afternoon on the Orange River, western South Africa:
IMG_2486_7_8_tonemapped2.jpg

Southern hemisphere star trails. I actualy like this one for the fact that the Large Magellanic Cloud and the Small Magellanic Cloud can be seen above and to the left of the tree.
IMG_21603.JPG

More star trails, this time with our tent in the foreground.
IMG_2321.JPG

For some reason I always enjoy taking pictures of decrepit buildings, they just seem more photogenic than proper buildings.
IMG_2448_49_50_tonemapped.jpg

Last edited:
And some more, with all these I've employed HDR (High Dynamic Range)

Actualy no, the first one is just a long exposure at small apperture. Forest waterfall in the Bvumba area of Zimbabwe.
Waterfall3.JPG

Sunrise viewed from the Drakensberg plateau. 1000 Meter vertical drop to my left.
IMG_1678_1679_1680.jpg

Just some reeds. This HDR was made from a single RAW image. I think the final result might be a tad oversaturated but the scene was actually very colourful.
HDR2.jpg

And as with buildings, nothing like a decrepit car to get my shutterfinger excited.
Truck1.JPG

Jon, I have to agree. Those pictures are fantastic. Deefstes, the colors are just amazing. The star trails are cool, but that river sunset shot is just fantastic.

A little late getting around to these. My son Aaron took me to the Infineon Superbike race for my birthday and I played with my $100 manual focus E-Bay 400mm lens.

5-17-08InfinionSuperbikeRace621crop.jpg

5-17-08InfinionSuperbikeRace386crop.jpg

5-17-08InfinionSuperbikeRace617pssm.jpg

5-17-08InfinionSuperbikeRace520crop.jpg

5-17-08InfinionSuperbikeRace475sm.jpg

5-17-08InfinionSuperbikeRace1011cro.jpg

Thanks for the comments AndyT and Larry. Larry, I love the composition on your first shot with the bikers taking two alternate turns. The way they lean over from the left to straight up to the right gives a sense of time lapse. Nice one.

deefstes:
what eqpt you have?
how did you compose the star trails? long shutter?

Hi maged,

I have a Canon EOS 350D with standard kit lens, nothing special. The single most useful piece of equipment that I have bought though is probably my Tripod, I have a fairly decent Manfrotto but I bought it for mounting my birding scope. For photography I'm sure I could've gotten away with something cheaper. Another useful piece of equipment is a remote shutter release with shutter lock functionality.

Yes, for the star trails I basically used a very small aperture and a very long exposure. I find that an exposure of 30 minutes works well but I've done up to two hours ad had decent results as well. The camera has a noise reduction function for long exposures and it works unbelievably well. I wouldn't attempt these long exposures without it. The only downside is that it takes as long to do the NR as it did to capture the exposure. So shooting a frame at 30 minutes shutter, takes another 30 minutes to process.

Back
Top Bottom