Melbourne Florida Shipwreck

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Have you tried to contact Randy Lathrop?

I have not talked to Randy Lathrop but would be glad to speak to anyone who might be able to help. My cell is 321 480 8883.

I've never used a air lift or dredge but I'm not sure they would be effective in this area. The bottom is extremely silty with rarely any current. The bottom vis is usually 0 - 7 feet but I have seen as much as 10. The slightest movement on the bottom stirs up the silt and viz goes to zero. If you cease all movement It takes up to 20 minutes for any visibility to return. Below the loose silt layer is 2-3 feet of clay like material. Even the powerful blowers we were using had a hard time moving it. When we are on the bottom with the blower going at low power, it pushes the clear water from the surface to the bottom and carries the silt away. The constant supply of clear water is the only thing that makes it possible to work on the site. Move out of the blower water column and vis goes to zero.
An interesting note is there is a steel hull shrimp or tug boat about a mile further off shore. The bottom there is clean sand and shell hash.
Thanks for the help and suggestions!

Back
Top Bottom