Meikon Housings for NEX-5, 6 & 7

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

007wilk

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have found some discussions about cheap Chinese housings on this form as well as on other web sites. I have read stories of flooded housings, which were actually quite scary. At the same time, what can be seen on ebay now, seems to be a next generation of those housings. There are generally three types of the Meikon-like housings currently on ebay:

(1) The old translucent style with a clamp on top
(2) A newer model with what looks to be a 67mm lens port
(3) Another newer black version similar to the above except with rectangular window.

Any first hand experience with #2 or #3 ? I am looking for a housing for Sony NEX-6. It is either one of these or a $1,700 Nauticam, which is out of the question for me... There seems to be nothing else out there at the moment.

#1 old.jpg
#2round.jpg
#3square.jpg

Number 3 seems odd why would they go for a rectangular front port? Do they have changeable ports otherwise not much point housing an ILC.

I have used the #1 version with an NEX-5 - then upgraded to a similar housing for NEX-5N. Three housings and about 20 dives later, I have had no real issues. I had a sticky button which gave some issues on one dive. No leaks. The gen 3 housing looks appealing to me... I have an NEX-7 as my "main" camera and they make a housing for it. On DPReview, there have been several threads on these housings. The most common plan of attack is to get the case and test it in the sink or tub first (I tried this). If there's a manufacturing defect, you might save your camera.

All I can say is that I'm 3 for 3 good cases with style 1.

@alien - perhaps the rectangular shape reduces/eliminates vignetting with some lens combinations on the inside? Note, #2 is intended for a 16-50mm lens and #3 for a 18-55mm, which I did not even know was a standard with NEX-6

@tboydva - Thx. This is actually encouraging :) How deep did you take them? I am hoping to shoot wrecks up to 35 m deep.

Last edited:
007 - I had my housing down to just under 100 feet (33 m roughly). Most dives were in the 20 m range. I load up the housing with moisture munchers just in case, but have not had any signs of leaking. I was always in a position where I could abort the dive if I really had to (and surface). I suspect a shore dive in rough conditions would really put one of these cases to the test! I have my gear insured too, so I've been less worried should a leak occur...

Nauticam housings are a work of art and command a hefty price.

I posted this on the regular U/W Photo forum. It appears that Meikon now makes 67mm wide angle wet lenses for the housings. They cost $230 on Amazon.

Attachments

• 41+sHCpgqzL.jpg
    41+sHCpgqzL.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 305
  • 4142le0dcUL.jpg
    4142le0dcUL.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 270
I know you were asking about 2 and 3 but thought I would throw in that I had #1 for a NEX-5n and found that it didn't work very well but no leaks either. Only a few dives on it when I decided to invest in a 10Bar housing and am very happy I spent the money on a higher end housing. By the way still have the 1 if someone is looking.

I have a roll of five housings made by Mekon.....for nex 5/5n. Not really working under 19m because of the buttons started to dance

Back
Top Bottom