Megadive suggestions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DEEPSEAWOLF

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
This thread is for suggestions to improve the Megadives. So far we've had a few:
Locale changes or mid-year trips to other sites, like the manatee trip, or Bonaire
Have all food prepped, (cut, sorted into sealed bowls that are quickly opened/closed)
More organized and labeled food areas (public foods marked "Dig in!")
Breakfast stuff that's quick and easy, as well as the time consuming cooking line.
(Cereal, oatmeal, muffins,...)
Lower costs for camping/diving
More varied foods: burgers, hot dogs, sides, snacks
More kid's activities; squirt guns, slip & slide, mini pool
A set time for group photo(s) so more people get pix of the event/attendees
More pix of the event

Any other ideas?

These all sound like good ideas.

Ginnie might be a good place, but i think once a year there is enough, it does get a little old after a while. I think localising - branching out to the other parts of the state would be good, SE, SW, Panhandle or else we camp somewhere cheaper and go as a group to other sites that interest us. I know now everyone can get to those more remote areas crossing almost the entire state and G-ville/High Springs is about as central as you can get, but we need variety.

The other stuff on food does sound good!

No we are NOT moving the megadive to Leeds!
That said, I am looking at a midsummer Megadive in a more Southerly location, possibly the Keys. I've heard many people say they want to dive Looe key. A suggestion wa made to move the Oktoberfest there.
The only problem is Hurricane season and being right in the middle of their path! Kind of like vacationing in Jamaica in mid-September. NOT a good idea!
Also, if I get the place I'm trying to, it will be decorated for Halloween.
I will be planning another manatee trip, but it will probably be a hotel event. I may do a hotel rez discount attempt, if we get enough interest. I will be in a better position to stay both Sat/Sun this year and if so, will have dives planned for both day. Possibly snagging charters again for the two days. Capt. Suzie did a great job last year getting us setup on boats. I'd like to spend the night in Crystal River and actually try a few other places to eat as well. I didn't like the feeling of having to rush off because the parents had the kid. I may be looking at bringing a bubblewatcher specificly to watch the kid.

You dont want to dive in Leeds, trust me on this one :wink:

Feel free to try to get everyone to migrate to the panhandle area :) Lots of cool places to see if you've never been. Even some caves for you cavers out there.

The Keys would be great. Bahia Honda has an awesome campground, but it being a state park, I don't think drinking is allowed, which kinda precludes most Conchs from attending. I would think there are other campsites nearby.
Hurricane season is like the winter, you know you will get snow, just not when.....

I'm thinking.... more kids need to be there for me to play with... (ahem... Simon)

Definetly need better squirt guns... ear plugs would be good too

How about pennekamp?

Pennecamp is a state park, and would be a great choice, but alas, it is a state park.

baitedstorm:
I'm thinking.... more kids need to be there for me to play with... (ahem... Simon)

Definetly need better squirt guns... ear plugs would be good too
Do you actually dive at these diving get-togethers, or just play with kids???? :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom