Meeting in Pattaya

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sharow

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi,
Well Im coming to Pattaya, (Jomtien) I think actually lol. I'm so excited but also cautious.
I'm really looking forward to get some more certifications and meeting some great people. And there in is my question:
I'm going to be attending Mermaids and I do realize that I will meet a lot of people through them but from all the reading I did. I found that variety is a key to great diving. So would it be alright if a diver went to another shop and wanted to get to know people? I really need to brush up on my German too.:dork2:
Im just worried that if there is a huge rivalry (hate) between shops or what, and I inadvertently stir up a bees hive. I'm just thinking back to high school when it was so WRONG to approach a different group from outside *gasp.
Oh Ill be there around the middle of July

Personally I wouldnt wory about any rivalry between shops that may exist. Yes it does go on in the Pattaya area as I dare say it would anywhere, but ultimately you are the customer and you can spend your money where ever you see fit at the time, and the opinion of the shop owner or employees is irrelevant.
You are right in the middle of the low season so I dare say all the shops would be glad of your custom at the moment. Personally if you are staying in the Jomtien area I would recommend Real Divers or Adventure Divers. Smaller shops than Mermaids but in my mind they offer a superior service. Mermaids core business is instructor internships as I dare say you already know, and personally as a diving customer I am not a fan of this system when shops use trainees to take care of day customers, some of my experiences at such shops over the years have left a lot to be desired.
Real Divers are situated in Soi Welcome going towards the South end of Jomtien, and Adventure Divers are on Thapraya road between Jomtien and Pattaya. In my mind by far the best two shops in the Pattaya area. Both these shops have websites.

Good luck

John

Thank you for the reply John, I guess I'll just have to go out and do it. I figure as long as I'm courteous and friendly I shouldn't be met with too much hostility. I just hope I'm not the only one that wants to meet and exchange pleasantries.
Sincerely Jan

Jan, I don't think you have to worry about stirring up hostilities. You just have to use common sense and not engage in any gossiping at all. If you are at a competitor's shop and are asked "why?" (trying to find out about any dissatisfaction you may be having), simply say what you've told us--that you are not going out looking for something "better" but only wanting to meet lots of people and experience a variety of dive centers. If somebody asks you to evaluate your experience, and you have a criticism, voice that criticism only to the shop that can benefit from it. Telling shop X that shop Y screwed up does not give shop Y the chance to make things right with you or even to make changes. All it does is foment gossip and bad feelings. As long as you are considerate in this way, you shouldn't have any problems.

Thanks, but i try not to voice my criticism. I learned that even when people say that they want your honest opinion as soon as they hear something slightly negative they shut down and go into defensive.
Highschool was a big eye opener for all that kind of stuff, I just want to go out and meet people and brush up on my German if possible.
And i believe like you said that you should give the person/shop a chance to redeem themselfs. But im so laid back its really hard to get a rise out of me lol. Thanks for the info, im not much less apprehensive about going and meeting people and shops.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom