Medina Lake- 2 Shark captures

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Debraw

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Channel 4 Fox News reported that a fisherman caught a 3 foot long sharp nosed saltwater shark in Medina Lake yesterday. Surprisingly enough a fisherman reported catching a thresher shark in Medina Lake also the day before! I saw the pictures, it was definitely a shark. Do you think it's people turning their "pets" loose in the lake when they grow to big for their aquariums? Kind of reminds of alligators in the sewer system. So anyone going to Medina lake this weekend?

hHere is the weblink and update. Could be someone playing a trick on him!

http://www.banderabulletin.com/articles/2005/08/24/news/829.txt

When the shark bites - Bandera fisherman catches a shark in Medina Lake.

By Jessica Hawley - Lifestyles Editor
Little did Jet Smith ever expect to pull a shark out of Medina Lake last Sunday morning, but a shark he caught, nonetheless. At the end of his jug line in Rocky Creek hung a small shark, already dead and curiously out of place.

"It's not a joke," the Bandera resident said. "I'm just wondering if anybody else has ever caught one here."

Smith, an avid fisherman, said that he dropped a jug line, which is fishing wire attached to a free-floating jug with up to five baited hooks, on the evening of Aug. 20. He returned to the lake the next morning to retrieve his catch, and pulled up a slender, three-foot long shark. The shark had clearly taken the bait, but died sometime between its own catch and Smith's.

"I've been fishing in this lake for eight years," Smith said. "I've never seen anything like this. It was probably placed here."

Sharks are typically salt-water inhabitants. Certain breeds, however, have been known to swim into fresh water reservoirs. The bull shark has reportedly been found in the Mississippi River, the Amazon River in Peru and Lake Nicaragua in Central America. The bull shark also has a nasty reputation as being an aggressive shark and frequent human attacker that prefers shallow waters.

But before swimmers pull their feet out of the water with the dum-dum of the "Jaws" theme resonating in the background, experts in Bandera say this shark catch sounds a little fishy.

"Sharks are not freshwater animals," Bandera County Extension Agent Warren Thigpen said, who admitted that this was the first time he'd ever fielded this situation.

Thigpen speculated that perhaps someone caught the shark at the coast and, thinking it was interesting, carried it back to Bandera before dumping it in the lake. He said that a shark could survive for a limited time in a freshwater environment, but not for very long, especially if confined to a fishing line.

"Sharks have to keep moving, unlike freshwater fish, to keep water circulating through their gills," Thigpen said.

Bandera County Game Warden Rod Chalmers suspects that someone may have tried to dupe Smith. He said that jug lines are usually left unattended overnight, which would make it fairly easy for a prankster to set up the hoax.

Chalmers said that he highly doubts a viable population of sharks exists in Medina Lake, and is more convinced that the catch was a practical joke.

Smith, a former Boerne resident, relocated to Bandera eight years ago, drawn by the lake. He said he doesn't plan to abandon the waters anytime soon, regardless of the possibility, albeit an improbability, that man-eating sharks have infested Rocky Creek.

"That's the reason I moved here," Smith said. "I love to fish."

I have read this articale as well as seen the picture and I am not sure what to think. I know it is possible for sharks to live in fresh water but I don't think the shark can get up above the dam. being that it was a jug line that maybe someone was playing a joke to see what happens. Someone go the beach over the weekend and when they get home they see a jog line and put the shark on the hook.

The Thresher is what seems weird to me. I have fished the coast all my life and never seen a thresher. So I don't think they are very common along the Texas Gulf Coast. The pet idea might be a possiblity. But personally I don't think they could live very long in fresh water.

That's what they said on the news, it probably would not have lived that long in the freshwater. So that means it must have been a very short time after someone released it that it was caught by the fisherman.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom