Medical Service Plan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sciguyman

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Does anyone know to what extent recompression chamber trips are covered to in British Columbia? Thanks, Jesse

Short answer: No.

Long answer: When I tried a PADI OW course in Vancouver last year, the instructor said that MSP will cover ONE trip to a recompression chamber only. I believe he meant per lifetime. I checked the MSP website, and wouldn't you know, it's pretty much useless. :wink: Although I have extended health through work, I specifically bought insurance for diving through DAN.

If you find anything out, please post. :)

Short answer: yes.

:D

Long answer: Call BC MSP and ask them.

Unofficial answer: If it is NOT a private facility, you are diving in province (BC), and you have BC medical, then you are covered.

Cheers,
Bill.

annasea:
Short answer: No.

Long answer: When I tried a PADI OW course in Vancouver last year, the instructor said that MSP will cover ONE trip to a recompression chamber only. I believe he meant per lifetime. I checked the MSP website, and wouldn't you know, it's pretty much useless. :wink: Although I have extended health through work, I specifically bought insurance for diving through DAN.

If you find anything out, please post. :)

The instructor was wrong. Denying treatment for a condition like DCI because one exceeded their "quota" would be illegal under the Canada Health Act. That would be the same as saying that people are allowed one broken leg then after that it's on their nickel.

The folks that I know that have needed chamber treatment have all been covered by provincial healthcare plans.

nadwidny:
The instructor was wrong. Denying treatment for a condition like DCI because one exceeded their "quota" would be illegal under the Canada Health Act. That would be the same as saying that people are allowed one broken leg then after that it's on their nickel.

The folks that I know that have needed chamber treatment have all been covered by provincial healthcare plans.
Yeah, I thought it was odd that they'd only cover ONE treatment.

These folks that you know... do they use DAN for out-of-country diving?

annasea:
Yeah, I thought it was odd that they'd only cover ONE treatment.

These folks that you know... do they use DAN for out-of-country diving?

Some do. Others have some kind of PADI thing. I have DAN plus I'm loaded up with other forms of insurance through other plans such as offered by my credit card.

I did not ask this question in particular but when I talked to MSP, the represenative told me that if the treatment was nessary for the treatment of a patient then it is covered under health care.

I believe it's important to recognize, too, that if you are out of province, MSP *may* not cover 100% of the costs -- they will be covered at a rate that MSP deems appropriate for that treatment. Typically, if you are out-of-country, this is *way* lower than the local medical system and you will be liable for paying the balance.

Check your travel medical policy -- scuba diving is often included in a list of "extreme sports" that are specifically listed as activities for which injury is "expected" and any injury incurred is not covered under the policy.

Personally, for US$69/year for the mid-grade coverage, you really can't go wrong with DAN. And, if "mid-grade" isn't your style, upgrade to the full enchilada for about $35 more.

KrisB:
I believe it's important to recognize, too, that if you are out of province, MSP *may* not cover 100% of the costs -- they will be covered at a rate that MSP deems appropriate for that treatment. Typically, if you are out-of-country, this is *way* lower than the local medical system and you will be liable for paying the balance...

Out of province but still within Canada you are still covered 100% for treatments because of the Medical Reciprocal Program (except for Quebec).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom