Medical forms?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Got my email response already :) This op only requires them from divers taking a class. Not certified divers on regular dive trips.

---------- Post added August 26th, 2014 at 05:04 PM ----------

I afraid not correct answer "No" may cause to insurance issue later.
I remember that one of questions were "If you are over 45". Now I am... Thinking if I need to take with me any document from doctor and how to receive it. At least my family doctor have no clue about diving.

My family doctor spent some time reading all the relative risk forms, and then asked me a few questions about my ears (my "yes" is due to neck surgery, so that was random) and had no problem signing it. The form has a lot of information on it about what the risk factors are, so I assume it gives doctors some information to make an informed decision. I figure they approach it like any sports physical.

---------- Post added August 26th, 2014 at 05:05 PM ----------

Why answer "yes" to any possible contraindication to diving if your own doctor at home has satisfied you that you are fine to dive? The purpose of the form is to protect the dive op from YOU.
I think you will find that many (most or all) ops in Coz require a medical form. If you know you are OK to dive, why not just answer "NO" and avoid any possible problems.

Because that would be lying?
There is no way I can truthfully answer no to the questions I have yeses on. They aren't subjective questions. It's pretty black and white.

The over 45 question also has some qualifiers. Are you over 45 and have "xyz condition"? Otherwise with the aging population a whole butt load of us would need med forms signed. Crap, now someone is going to try and make a buck off of that. "Dive Doctor Shopping Specialty" maybe. Will count towards your Master Scuba Diver rating!

At least in the US, with Obamacare physicals are now supposed to be 100% covered by all insurance. So I had no out of pocket to get my form signed.

I guess if your first doctor doesn't sign and you have to find another, that's when you need that specialty.

I do realize it is totally a CYA for the provider, not the diver- but with medical accidents being the main cause of death in diving, I can see why it is important for divers to get regular physicals.

Your replies make me more nervous. I am over 45 and I had eye lasik operation 12 years ago, which changed my "-6.5" to "no glasses needed".

Because that would be lying?
There is no way I can truthfully answer no to the questions I have yeses on. They aren't subjective questions. It's pretty black and white.

Aww.

As you note, it's totally a CYA form for the dive op. If you don't sue the dive op, the form will never come into play. It will never have any legal weight. I could sign my name "Donald Duck" for all I care about their form. I think the likelihood of me or my estate needing to sue the dive op is infinitesimally low.

Your replies make me more nervous. I am over 45 and I had eye lasik operation 12 years ago, which changed my "-6.5" to "no glasses needed".
Over 45 is qualified by the health history, not just the age.
I don't think eye surgery was on there at all, but I just skimmed.

Why don't you have the dive op send you the forms via email? These days everybody has them in pdf.
If they have any questions, you can clear that up ahead of time.

Two points:
1. The medical questionnaire is only to ascertain if you need a doctor's signature. So just get the doctor's signature and forget the form.
2. The questionairre says "Are you over 45 years of age and can answer YES to one or more of the following: Smoke? High cholesterol? Family history of heart attack or stroke? Currently receiving medical care? High blood pressure? Diabetes?" Nothing there about lazik, anywhere on the form. No problem.

I think Skittl1321 has a legitimate question that has no good answer. There are two conflicting purposes here your safety (a true / honest assessment) versus the dive operator attempting to CYA themselves from frivolous liability issues. Both sides of the issue have valid points. My personnel belief is to discuss the issue with your doctor and get their assessment of your physical condition, if they freak out and go into automatic CYA mode on general principle as opposed to a specific non-standard medical condition then you already have the wrong doctor. If you have a medical condition (other than the standard ‘Americanidise’ I.E. over 50, over weight, pre-diabetic with high cholesterol) that would truly preclude you they should be able to look you in the eye and say ‘do not dive’ or I have concerns and either refer you to another doctor or specify their suggested limitations. Get a written statement.
Provide you are an adult you should be able to abide by any limitations and dive accordingly. As for the all-inclusive generic forms the more paranoid shops have degenerated to (and I think they have a contest as to who can get to the goofiest level) you either lie or do not dive. It is a situation that sucks. If you are overcome with honesty and the dive op requires a local physician set it up prior for your arrival (non-dive) day. On the bright side outside of the USA access to a doctor is relatively cheap, as an example in Cozumel the weekend before last I went to the emergency room without insurance, was seen by a doctor, got a shot and was charged $305 MNP ($23 US)
The good news is that the 3P release form is pretty basic.

Back
Top Bottom