Medical form for certified divers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mako Mark

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
I have noticed that recently in Cozumel they are starting to make certified divers sign an RSTC medical form and PADI safe diving pracitces statement of undrestanding prior to diving. In the case that they have a yes they then need a physicians written permission to dive.

Is this mothering?
Is this needed?
will this prevent dive accidents?
will this reduce lawsuits?
Is this beauracracy gone mad?

Yea, my wife and I have run across that both in Cozumel and Turks & Caicos. Since both of us have had sinus surgeries years ago, we would, in theory, have to check that box and provide a "doctors excuse"! Our solution has been to be a little less than honest about our nasal surgeries as to avoid the hassle of a doctors release. I would NOT recommend this for serious problems, such as heart or lung deficiencies. Better safe than sorry. Thee places are just trying to cover their butts. There are a lot of divers out there who are somewhat lacking in their healthyness and skills. No one wants to be liable. Last June we were in Turks & Caicos and heard that a week before a resort diver had died. He was not truthfull on his medical release, and had a heart attack when they asked him to swim 200 yards. When they checked his room, he had several bottle of pills due to a heart condition. The form will not prevent accidents, but it will protect the dive operators from lawsuits. bottom line, you are always responsible for your own actions and should always know and dive within your limits.

Taucher:
Yea, my wife and I have run across that both in Cozumel and Turks & Caicos. Since both of us have had sinus surgeries years ago, we would, in theory, have to check that box and provide a "doctors excuse"! Our solution has been to be a little less than honest about our nasal surgeries as to avoid the hassle of a doctors release. I would NOT recommend this for serious problems, such as heart or lung deficiencies. Better safe than sorry. Thee places are just trying to cover their butts. There are a lot of divers out there who are somewhat lacking in their healthyness and skills. No one wants to be liable. Last June we were in Turks & Caicos and heard that a week before a resort diver had died. He was not truthfull on his medical release, and had a heart attack when they asked him to swim 200 yards. When they checked his room, he had several bottle of pills due to a heart condition. The form will not prevent accidents, but it will protect the dive operators from lawsuits. bottom line, you are always responsible for your own actions and should always know and dive within your limits.

On another side of this issue, a few years ago on a cruise we did the Cozumel stop. One diver was honest enough to check yes to High Blood pressure as he had been adivsed by his doctor (verbally) that there was no contra indication to his continued diving. Since he was honest and didn't have a letter from the doctor they didn't let him dive.
This did not protect the operator from a lawsuit, but did make a point to all around who heard what was going on to remeber next time instead of making the operator aware of a condition that they should just lie about it all together.

This is confusing to me. Before I ever attended my first pool session, I had to have a letter from my doctor stating that diving was OK for me because I have high blood pressure.

If all agencies require this (an assumption) then they (the resort dive shop) are being needlessly redundant.

And of course, if it comes to being honest on a form like this and not diving, or lying and diving, I'm gonna lie.

If you already gotten the OK from your doc, you have the choice of either living healthy or not. I choose to live healthy, but even if I didn't and I'm certified, I'm diving.

Beck

I have noticed that recently in Cozumel they are starting to make certified divers sign an RSTC medical form and PADI safe diving pracitces statement of undrestanding prior to diving. In the case that they have a yes they then need a physicians written permission to dive.

Is this mothering?
Is this needed?
will this prevent dive accidents?
will this reduce lawsuits?
Is this beauracracy gone mad?[/QUOTE]

I was in Turks and Caicos about 2 months ago and they would not let a lady dive without doctors permission because she indicated she was over 40 and smoked on her medical form... She was diving later in the week, so I guess she got the doctors note.

divebomb:
This is confusing to me. Before I ever attended my first pool session, I had to have a letter from my doctor stating that diving was OK for me because I have high blood pressure.

If all agencies require this (an assumption) then they (the resort dive shop) are being needlessly redundant.
Whatever the faults of these things may be, redundant isn't necessarily one of them - for someone who was certified years back their health may very well have changed.

The PADI for is good for one year correct? If so, why not just get the doc to fill one out at the begining of each year. Then just keep a photo copy of the current years form in your log book? Just in case you need it. That is what I do.

There was a whole thread about medical forms, and how they're filled out in the Dive Medicine Forum. There are examples there about operators that won't accept any medical note if you tick a yes on any of the items on their form, and there were examples of operators that if you ticked a yes on any of the items on their heath form, you couldn't dive unless their dive doc approved it. (The DM would call the Doc and give him the info you provided about your condition).

Due to stuff like this....I think there are plenty of folks who just don't disclose their medical history.

Peace,
Cathie

Back
Top Bottom