Medical certificate

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

vjongene

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I moved to the US from Europe a couple of years ago. When I was living in Switzerland, I had regular medical check-ups, and my family doctor would sign a medical certificate (template provided by the Swiss Federation for Hyperbaric Medicine) stating that I didn't suffer from any conditions that would constitute counter-indications to scuba diving. This certificate was actually required by a number of diving centers, and in particular by the organizers of diving safaris.

I will be going on a safari this summer on the Liburan Paradise, a vessel operated in the Moluccas by a German-owned outfit. They require a medical certificate from all participants. So my question is, is there a generally accepted procedure / template in the US for certifying that a person does not have health issues that may prevent him/her from scuba diving? Or should I just try to find a physician willing to sign a free-form certificate? I can see that there may liability issues, and maybe a reluctance to put anything in writing.

Thanks already for any info. Btw I live in Urbana-Champaign, IL, so if you should happen to know a local physician with an interest in hyperbaric medicine that would be useful too.

Hi vjongene,

There isn't a diving medical examiner in Champaign that I know of. The U.S. does not have the same requirements, but if you're healthy you should be able to get your primary care physician to write a note for you stating that you're fit to dive. You may also want to check with the tour operator to see if they require a specific form or if just a note will do.

Best regards,
DDM

p.s. have a slice of Papa Del's for me... still the best pizza ever!

Thanks much DDM. I will try to get a certificate from my GP, if I can get an appointment (not always easy). I found the attached guidelines, which may be useful for someone with no specific training in diving medicine.

I don't eat Papa Del's pizza too often (would definitely clog my arteries), but when I want pizza they are the ones!

Victor

Attachments

• SCUBAGuidelines.pdf
    28.6 KB · Views: 442
Hi vjongene,

The guidelines you found may prove a bit onerous, Old Pippin. First your PCP will have to slog through them, and after s/he has done so still won't have a ready-to-go format.

I've been asked this question many times and SAI AS 4005.1 SUPP 2-2000 Training and Certification of Recreational Divers has, in the words of Larry the Cable Guy, never yet failed to "get 'er done".

SAI AS 4005.1 SUPP 2-2000 PDF(electronic copy) [101613] - $8.00 : e-standards!, The Cheapest standards in the world

Regards,

DocVikingo

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom