Medical Approval Issues

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This was first brought up 54 posts earlier. Glad you had a chance to read the thing you've been arguing about.

Damn!!!

I hate when I am ranting on hypocrisy and bulls**t and I get caught in hypocrisy and bulls**t!

I sentence myself to a 4 game ban from this thread except to answer direct questions.

Tom and I can reflect together on our hypocrisy and bulls**t!

Copied from an site addressing drugs and scuba (highlights are mine): Divers should also be mindful of the fact that they may be required to fill out a new RSTC Medical Statement before any dive and that they may be denied permission to dive based on their responses. However, most dive operators will accept evidence of recent medical clearance for diving. If you are ever in any doubt about your fitness to dive, discuss your status with your dive operator in advance.

Deal with it as you see fit.

Copied from an site addressing drugs and scuba (highlights are mine): Divers should also be mindful of the fact that they may be required to fill out a new RSTC Medical Statement before any dive and that they may be denied permission to dive based on their responses. However, most dive operators will accept evidence of recent medical clearance for diving. If you are ever in any doubt about your fitness to dive, discuss your status with your dive operator in advance.

What site is that from?

Okay?

That is why I always have a copy of my clearance when I travel.

And MOST will accept that. ALL accept a form full of NOs.

That's cool, if they don't accept it...my choice is simple. I won't dive with them.

I do research before I use any operator. I have a number of "yes" answers. If they don't accept the certificate, that't they issue, not mine. I've never had an issue.

I haven't been back here in a few weeks because the attitude of a couple people in particular pissed me off, but I figured for the rest of you an update might be of interest.

The day after my last post here I called my Allergy and Asthma doc and while he was NOT willing to sign-off on diving paperwork or give me a note saying I'm fit to dive, he WAS willing to write me a very generic note saying that my asthma and allergies are well-managed clinically and I can perform strenuous physical activity for long durations without complication along with my FEV1/FVC scores from spirometry before, during and after running a 7-minute mile which show my lung function is perfectly normal.

Took that to the dive shop, they said wonderful, signed-up for a class that weekend, and I'm now OW certified. Planning to do my first recreational dive in Monterey Bay with a local buddy dive group the weekend after next!

I think it's important to note here that my docs were STILL unwilling to get involved in the legal hoopla and did everything they could to avoid being associated in any way with my decision to get into diving in any capacity. I think that has a lot less to do with ignorance or genuine concern for the patient and a lot more to do with their malpractice insurance rates. I think the next time someone's asking about this, I now have a feather in my cap to pass on to them: don't ask for a note that says you can dive, but a note that says your condition is well-managed and you are capable of strenuous physical activity and clear decision-making.

Ironically just about everyone I've told about my OW cert has said something to the effect of, "Isn't diving really dangerous?" Maybe an ignorant public perception is part of the problem, too.

don't ask for a note that says you can dive, but a note that says your condition is well-managed and you are capable of strenuous physical activity and clear decision-making.

This is, unfortunately, bad advice. PADI specifically addresses this in their professional information to instructors, and a nice note from your doctor is not sufficient. The doctor signs the form or not.....that is all the instuctor is supposed to address. Nice notes are irrelevant.

Thanks for the update, and I'm glad you are now certified.

(If this comment pi$$es you off, that is your problem, not mine.)

This is, unfortunately, bad advice. PADI specifically addresses this in their professional information to instructors, and a nice note from your doctor is not sufficient. The doctor signs the form or not.....that is all the instuctor is supposed to address. Nice notes are irrelevant.

Thanks for the update, and I'm glad you are now certified.

(If this comment pi$$es you off, that is your problem, not mine.)

Oh, good thing I went with NASE instead of PADI. The guys at the NASE shop were much more professional and tech-dive oriented than the PADI guys, who seemed a bit uptight. And the NASE shop offered a lot more support both before and after OW certification - their attitude was in doing things right and being safe as opposed to churning through students who don't even know how to swim. I asked for a refund in my first PADI class when 3 of the 9 students said they don't know how to swim.

Reactions: RJP
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom