Me 'n' Longimanus

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Crowley

Master Instructor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Thought some of you might like to see this... this is an oceanic white tip, Carcharhinus Longimanus, passing behind me all unawares after surfacing from a safety stop off the back side of Yolanda's satellite reef in Ras Mohammed, from Sharm El Sheikh (Southern end of Egypt's Sinai peninsular)

If you look carefully I am actually pointing at the diver trying to get him out of the water because the boat is coming, blissfully unware that this wonderful creature is behind me.

The guy who took the photo reckons it was maybe 2.5 metres in length, an "adolescent" I guess. We think we have at least three juvenile - or at least not fully grown - oceanics in the area at the moment that are being sighted regularly. It may be that one has been seen in different locations; they are, after all - oceanic - but two were seen together at one point and they seem to be hanging around the same reef in Tiran (Jackson Reef) for some reason.

The white tip is reknowned for making close approaches but one of the sharks here seems to be a bit more direct about the process. It's a caught a few colleagues (and me!!) by surprise.

Safe diving - don't feed the fish!

C.

Attachments

• longimanus2.jpg
    longimanus2.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 106
Very cool pic!!

Thanks for sharing that! It's great that you have a pic to go with the story!

Carolyn:shark2:

you're welcome! Such an awesome creature...

Saw a whale shark yesterday - photos to follow when my divers get back to the UK/Spain...!

Happy shark watching...!

C.

Great photo mate, one of our boats saw a longimanus on the surface in the Amphoras area today!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom