mcgyver fixes/gear modification

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

travelmind

Registered
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I was trying to find a thread on how people have modified there gear. Also what modifications would you make if you could? Here's one of mine. I added two grommets to my bc to attach my dive knife.

Attachments

• IMG_0679.jpg
    IMG_0679.jpg
    440.1 KB · Views: 81
I'm a big gear modifier/customizer myself...I build custom BC's, and also heavily modify other major gear items like regs and lights...it can be a lot of work/time, but it's rewarding to finally finish a project and see how cool it turned out! I'm modifying an old Oxy Raider I light right now, based on what I learned modifying/upgrading 3 mbsub lights I fixed up this spring.

I got sick of integrated weight pockets on my BCD so cut them off and installed some zippers. Now they simply zip on if I want them for any reason.

With weight pockets attached...

Without...

I make modifications as needed. In diving it started with a coffee can lid for a diffuser on my SB-101 strobe.

Here is the reg set I became an Instructor with; I turned the Mares Alternate into a "left hander" by carving some plastic out of the inside with a small raser knife.
I am pretty sure my Instructor Trainers were aware and never even mentioned it.

Next I took my old SB-101 strobe tray and modified it to hold my Ikelite Slave Sensor and SS200 strobe.

I also hate integrated weights, so I also cut the integrated weight pockets off my Balance BC, and zip tied my slate to the left waist strap.

Finally, when I use my pony tank, the mounting is whatever comes to me at the time. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom