MB-SUB X1-800 review

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rkuehner

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I purchased a MB-SUB X1-800 and eagerly awaited its arrival. Having received it, my first impressions left me feeling a little disappointed. The accompanying paperwork has it rated at 750 lumen. While it lights up a larger area, I don't think its much brighter than my BlackHawk tactical LED flashlight rated at 130 lumen. The light is somewhat yellowish in comparison to my other flashlight. There is a noticeable dark spot in the middle of the hotspot, which surprises me for a flashlight at this price point. I replaced the supplied batteries with a set of 5000 mAH rechargeable NIMH batteries, and did not notice an appreciable difference in performance. I've only used the flashlight for topside evaluation, as it is too cold to dive right now. I wanted a light that would be equally useful on land as well as in the water (my tactical flashlight is not waterproof). The build quality seems solid enough, and the slide switch makes for easy on/off, though I'm used to the button on the bottom of my other flashlight. I plan on comparing brightness/beam distance with my other recreational LED flashlight. I wish I could say I like the flashlight 100%, but that is not the case...I think I will have to search elsewhere for that "perfect" light.

would be interested how it performs in water as sometimes in air a light can look different. Im surprised that its not much brighter than a 130lumen light, what is the beam angle on your 130lumen light? I believe the x1-800 is around 13degrees.

Last edited:
Could be at short distances the tactical light has the appearance of being brighter due to having a whiter beam than the Mb-sub x1-800. The tactical light definitely has a tighter beam, probably 8-10 degrees I'm guessing. The Mb-sub X1-800 is brighter than my other dive light...a XS Scuba DL5 5watt light LED recreational light I had wanted to compare it to. The XS light has a tighter beam and also a whiter color light, and is said to be 169 lumens. When I shine both lights down from the balcony onto the deck, the XS Scuba light can be seen superimposed on the Mb-Sub light...I'm guessing because of the difference in the color of the lights, with the MB-Sub being yellower. I won't be able to dive with the new light until this upcoming summer. Don't get me wrong, I like the MB-Sub light, just was expecting something a little different. I find the dark spot in the center a bit disappointing, as my less expensive lights don't have a dark spot in the center (its small, but noticeable).

Could be at short distances the tactical light has the appearance of being brighter due to having a whiter beam than the Mb-sub x1-800. The tactical light definitely has a tighter beam, probably 8-10 degrees I'm guessing. The Mb-sub X1-800 is brighter than my other dive light...a XS Scuba DL5 5watt light LED recreational light I had wanted to compare it to. The XS light has a tighter beam and also a whiter color light, and is said to be 169 lumens. When I shine both lights down from the balcony onto the deck, the XS Scuba light can be seen superimposed on the Mb-Sub light...I'm guessing because of the difference in the color of the lights, with the MB-Sub being yellower. I won't be able to dive with the new light until this upcoming summer. Don't get me wrong, I like the MB-Sub light, just was expecting something a little different. I find the dark spot in the center a bit disappointing, as my less expensive lights don't have a dark spot in the center (its small, but noticeable).

Perhaps Michael can wade in on this?

You're comparing apples to oranges in the sense that both lights use different leds. The X1-800 is using a (Cree) MC-E which is actually 4 leds on one chip. The dark spot is due to the 4 leds focusing in slightly different spots. It's normal in other words for that (MC-E) quad led.

You shouldn't notice it underwater and you probably won't notice in your house if you back away from the wall.

I couldn't find any technical specs on the DL5 but given the lumen rating it's probably a (Cree) XR-E of some type. The spot is probably as bright in terms of lux as any one spot with the MC-E however the MC-E covers a greater area and therefore may be more useful as long as it's using a reflector or lens appropriate for that led (which I'm sure it is).

Regarding brightness. The lumen measurement is a measurement of overall output. Lux is a measurement of brightness at a specific point and at a defined distance from the source. Lumen is output so as you mentioned it covers a greater area at a given lux than a lower lumen rated light would.

I have a dive light that uses that same (MC-E) chip and it's a very good dive light. The real test is in the water.

I'm not sure if I answered all of your concerns and I don't have the X1-800 in question but I do know the specs in general and your concerns seem to be general observations regarding the MC-E and the use of lux and lumen terminology.

You're comparing apples to oranges in the sense that both lights use different leds. The X1-800 is using a (Cree) MC-E which is actually 4 leds on one chip. The dark spot is due to the 4 leds focusing in slightly different spots. It's normal in other words for that (MC-E) quad led.

You shouldn't notice it underwater and you probably won't notice in your house if you back away from the wall.

I couldn't find any technical specs on the DL5 but given the lumen rating it's probably a (Cree) XR-E of some type. The spot is probably as bright in terms of lux as any one spot with the MC-E however the MC-E covers a greater area and therefore may be more useful as long as it's using a reflector or lens appropriate for that led (which I'm sure it is).

Regarding brightness. The lumen measurement is a measurement of overall output. Lux is a measurement of brightness at a specific point and at a defined distance from the source. Lumen is output so as you mentioned it covers a greater area at a given lux than a lower lumen rated light would.

I have a dive light that uses that same (MC-E) chip and it's a very good dive light. The real test is in the water.

I'm not sure if I answered all of your concerns and I don't have the X1-800 in question but I do know the specs in general and your concerns seem to be general observations regarding the MC-E and the use of lux and lumen terminology.

Thank you for your clarification. If my english would be better, than i would written the same. Its right, the small dark spot is under water invisible.
I think rkuehner is a victim of the misleading propaganda about maximum Lux values.
A high value of Lux alone says nothing. The light distribution has the same importance.

Michael

gcbryan -Thanks for your explanation. I didn't realize the Cree MC-E was comprised of multiple LEDs...that explanation makes sense. I won't get to use it for diving until this summer, but I'm sure you're correct. I also do a bit of spelunking, camping, etc and was wanting a "do it all" light. As a paramedic and recovery diver, I wanted a high output light in a small format. I'm sure it will work out fine

gcbryan -Thanks for your explanation. I didn't realize the Cree MC-E was comprised of multiple LEDs...that explanation makes sense. I won't get to use it for diving until this summer, but I'm sure you're correct. I also do a bit of spelunking, camping, etc and was wanting a "do it all" light. As a paramedic and recovery diver, I wanted a high output light in a small format. I'm sure it will work out fine

I'm sure it will work out fine as well. Just for fun you can look at the led (not turned on) and you will see 4 squares. Those are the 4 leds. Each one is approximately the same as the one in the other light you referenced. Since each of those 4 leds is focused in a slightly different spot the brightness is the same but the area covered is larger.

If they each could be focused on the same spot that spot would be much brighter but no larger.

Be sure to report back when you are able to go on a dive with that light!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom