Mayan Riviera shore diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

First I want to thank all of you who posted to my thread, between this forum and others I've pretty much figured out I can eliminate shore diving off the mainland side in this area. Even for me this wasn't too hard! Change of plans anyway. We are now going alone as the other family has canceled out so I will be the only diver, so now we are looking for an all-inclusive resort at either Playa del Carmen, such as the Reef Playacar, or one very near San Miquel on Cozumel, like the Hotel Cozumel. Basicly we're looking for a resort within walking distance of a main town. Any input or info would be greatly appreciated. Oh, by the way my family includes a wife who MAY want to try scuba diving, a 15 year old son who doesn't, but may be talked into it (he's almost certified but says he doesn't like it, maybe warm water will help) and a 12 year old son who can hardly wait to become certified so he can come out with dear old Dad to dive the chilly Pacific or lake Tahoe. Any help? Thanks. Dave

In Playa del Carmen, you could try one of the 4 RIU hotels, I've stayed at the RIU Tequila, it's a bit cheaper than the rest since it's across the street from the beach, but the food & staff is great, and you can use the other RIU's beaches and facilities. It's within 15 minute walking distance of town, or a $4 cab ride.

As for diving, I went with Abyss in town, they were great, got me into diving! This way and your kids you can go diving while your wife shops in town, unless the awesome blue water gets the better of her.

Don't know much about Cozumel; a group of us is going to the Occidental Grand in a couple of weeks, but apparently it's very far from San Miguel.

I dive at playa and coz at least 2 times a year and will be back there in May- June. If you dive with abyss ask for James or visit him at www.Playadelcarmeninfo.com I dive with yucatek there as I stay in there hotel. The shore diving because of the current don't happen much there. There are some places in coz that you can shore dive but I reccomend Playa but not AI because of the numerous things you can do there including the cenotes. protect the reefs

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom