Mayan Palace - diving close?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey Mayan Palace guest, Puerto Morelos is your closest place for diving and fabulous snorkeling - even those aggressive sales people live here. You can get to most places in the Riviera Maya from here and the reef diving is beautiful; we also have local private cenotes that will set you up for for the rest of the week. We are one of three dive ops in PM and I am happy to let you know all numbers if you want to private message me.

You will not find a non-cattle boat dive op that can pickup at your hotel - there are very strict laws about which vehicles are allowed to operate transporting tourists and you have to pay an arm and a leg to get the license. The taxi drivers at the hotels watch all the time who gets picked up and in the name of protecting their business will report you. So you see we would love to pick you up but to keep prices competitive and our personal service high we just cannot at the moment.

As for the sales people just don't go to the breakfast sales pitch, if you can avoid it, it really is a half day gone.

Cat Brown which dive op do you reccomend in PM as we will be at the Mayan Palace aug 14 and which one do you work at?

I am at Dive Puerto Morelos - but I do not like to use this board commercially, I do try to promote this area as a destination for divers. Please send a private message if you would like to have more details....see you soon...best Cat

Tank-ha out of Playa del carmen is an excellent shop--they can arrange local dives on the reefs (good diving), as well as cenotes (you got to try that) and Cozumel. They take their own boat over to Cozumel which I liked better than going on the Ferry. You can get intouch with them at tankha.com. We stayed at the Club Maeva resort (nice place). They have a shop at the resort as well as at Playa Del Carmen.

Greg

squarepants:
We will be staying at the Mayan Palace-Riviera Maya from Oct. 25th - Nov 3rd. Out of 6 people only my husband and I are divers, and would like to fiind out if there is a good, safe, convenient dive op anywhere close to the hotel.

I am having trouble finding a diagram that shows where the hotel is in that area, and I'm not sure if the Mayan Palace-Riviera Maya is the same, or not, as the Mayan Palace-Cancun.

Any help?

Hi Squarepants,

I'm an owner at Mayan Palace-Riviera Maya (also known as Mayan Palace-Cancun). We stayed there in February and signed up for a day of diving right in the front lobby. The dive company they hooked us up with was Aquaworld, who we have used before in Cozumel and would certainly recommend. A tour bus picked us up at the front lobby and took us to Playa del Carmen, where we took the ferry to Cozumel. The trip included transportation to and from Cozumel, two dives and lunch. I think the cost was about $125 USD. We had a great time and wouldn't hesitate to go again. They also offered a dvd of the dive. It was $80 so we bought one and copied it.
Mayan Palace is a beautiful resort. Don't worry about high-pressure sales people, unless you reveal yourself to be vulnerable and gullible. Just be confident and uninterested and they'll move on quickly to another mark.
Have a great time,

Rick H.

Just got back from a trip to Cozumel and the Mayan Palace north of Playa del Carmen.

We fell in love with the town of Puerto Morelos, which is about a fifteen minute drive from the Mayan Palace.

Did all our ocean dives in Cozumel, but we look forward to checking out the dive sites on the Mayan Riviera next time.

EricJ:
Just got back from a trip to Cozumel and the Mayan Palace north of Playa del Carmen.

We fell in love with the town of Puerto Morelos, which is about a fifteen minute drive from the Mayan Palace.

Did all our ocean dives in Cozumel, but we look forward to checking out the dive sites on the Mayan Riviera next time.
Hi Eric: How was your stay at Mayan Palace? Who/where did you dive with in Cozumel?

Jerry

The operator at Mayan Palace is no longer Aquaworld. Please check around about available shops adn don't forget that only 5mins away is Puerto Morelso with reef wreck and cenote diving.

While in Cozumel we dove with Dive Paradise. At times the boats were crowded, but our overall experience with them was fine.

We enjoyed our stay at the Mayan Palace. The grounds were beautiful, the staff was wonderful, and our two-bedroom unit was spacious. I've heard their sales people are ruthless and a major annoyance, but they never bothered us. However, we really weren't at the resort very much; spent most of our time out and about.

Well, if catbrown won't, I will. Me and my buddy dove with Dive Puerto Morelos in May. Smaller operation with great personal attention. I'd highly recommend them. www.divepuertomorelos.com The reef was great and the dive on the C-56 minesweeper was awesome.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom