Maya Ha resort

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

6Gill

Reaction score
I'm signed up for a trip to the Maya Ha resort. I hear that it is a 4+ hour bus ride out of Cancun on the Yucatan Penninsula. Has enybody been there? Care to comment on the resort and diving in general in that area? :band:

Thanks Doc!!

I am heading back down to Mexico in a couple months and I am definitely diving Chinchorro.

I am also hoping to stay a night or two at Maya Ha and then taking a boat over into Ambegris Cay Belize to see what it is like.

Then on the way back into Mexico hit a cenote or two.

I don't know why, but diving the 40 canon wreck at Chinchorro fascinates me. Yes its shallow, but I can't wait to photograph and dive it.

Maybe its the myserty of the wreck possibly being a pirate ship or seeing a treasure chest :)

NOT! Ok, so I'll settle for sitting in a hammock wearing an eye patch growling ARRRRRRRRR drinking a cold one with a parrot on my shoulder.

Anyone care to join me?

DocVikingo is right about the impact of the weather on diving Chinchoro. It can take 1-1/2 to 2-hours to get out there in normal conditions and the dive ops aren't going to go out there when it's bad. I've never stayed at or dived with Maya Ha but have made many trips to Xcalak and can say there is decent diving right off shore that is quite enjoyable too. And you can make those dives in less than perfect conditions.

In general, it's a very interesting area but not for everyone. You have to appreciate the remoteness or you won't be happy.

http://www.mxtravel.com/xcalak/xcalak_diving.html

Teamheatwave,

I hope you don't think I was knocking the Mayan Riviera in particular. I went down to Majahual a couple of years ago to try diving Chinchorro Banks but wouldn't fork over the $120 US for the long boat dive out. Tell me how it is out there, were there alot of grouper, sharks, etc?

i stayed at maya ha right after it opened over the new year (99/00). the staff was great and the accomodations very nice. food was excellent but there were no snacks between meals and the place is very remote. nowhere to go and buy some cookies or chips at the time. probably different now. also you did not have a choice regarding the meals but they were all very tasty.
the diving was mediocre. chinchorro has not been dived a lot but it has been fished. cozumel, although a zoo, is much better. that said the boat at maya ha is very nice and comfortable for thelong trips. bring sea sickness meds. the water can be rough. not much big stuff. however, saw a dolphin and a small nurse shark. there are interesting tours offered for topside adventure. comes in handy when the weather does not cooperate with the diving. overall a nice vacation but i would not return for the diving.

Crispos,
No sweat. I don't remember who posted a comment that set me off. Nor doest it really matter. With the amount of members we have there is bound to be a disagreement here and there. I think this is a good example that such friendly debates don't have to be violent or attack either poster. This board has provided some excellent advice. People post their opinions. Not everyone may share the same view. Which in a way is healthy. Viewers can read pros and cons about a particular piece of equipment, destination or dive operation. Then they can make a better choice on what's right for them. Personally I like staying in the Cancun area. I use it as a base and do trips from there. One day can be to Cozumel, another 2 day trip can be to Belize or Chinchorro staying overnight at Maya Ha, a smart move is to save a cenote dive for days when the seas are too rough. Then there's Isla Mujeres / El Garafon, Isla Contoy, Isla Holbox.

Docmartin . . . Speaking of topside tours, I didn't see a nurse shark but I did see a topless nurse.

And Crispos, Docmartin or anyone else looking for a diving buddy in Mexico, feel free to contact me. My offer still stands. First cold one is on me :)

Back
Top Bottom